Exam Wait time!

It's been exactly a month since my exam and I am so stressed waiting for the results. Its difficult to carry on with the next topic (MDCL). How long until you got your results and did you pass first time? (if your not comfortable giving pass or fails just time would be great :) )

Comments

• Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi @charlotte1234

All L4 exams are 5-6 weeks wait. Synoptic is 100% 6 weeks, all others are around 5. I've always taken my exams on Thursdays and I've received my results on 5th Thursday after I've taken my exam i.e. I've taken Personal Tax on 13/09/2018 and I know for 100% my results will be visible on 18/10/2018.

In regards of pass rates, I've passed budgeting, decision and control & financial statements first time, I've failed synoptic (65%) so I retook this exam this Thursday just gone, I've taken my Personal Tax and I am waiting results on that, and I am getting ready to take my Business Tax within 2-3 weeks.

Don't worry about exams nor about failing, everyone has to fail and everyone will, we are no perfections, we are only human beings :) Whatever the outcome is, remember don't give up and keep going!
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • dumutroba
    dumutroba Registered Posts: 262
    edited October 2018
    @charlotte1234
    I have been through 2 synoptics this year and it is always 6 weeks wait exactly

@Norvydas
    Sorry to hear you failed Synoptic
    May I ask what did you change/focus on on the second attempt?
    AAT Level 2. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 3. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 4. 2019 FSLC 100% MABU 93% MADC 82% PDSY 80%
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • charlotte1234
    charlotte1234 Registered Posts: 8
    Thank you :) How long id you take to do your topics i'm hoping to finish in a year but not sure how realistic that is...
  • dumutroba
    edited October 2018
    @charlotte1234
    I think an year for level 4 is realistic, this is what I have set for myself as well. I am now taking it slow ang go on exam when I am 100% sure that I will pass, I don't want to rush things as I did with level 2-two exams per month.
    I have just started with budgets and I aim to sit the exam December or early January
    How far are you now with the exams if I may ask?Do you know about any recent changes that are not reflected in the study materials yet(I use Osborne)?
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • charlotte1234
    I am using BPP, I hope to do an exam every 2 months so finish in a year but really demotivated having to wait so long for results so struggling to do the next topic. I have only taken 1 exam so far and i think if i pass it then i will feel better and have more confidence. I am doing Management accounting: Decision and control. How many exams have you taken so far? I'm not sure are there recent changes that you know of?
  • dumutroba
    edited October 2018
    Taken FSLC, yep 2 months per unit sounds about right
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • charlotte1234
    Oh i'm looking forward to that topic, that's what I will be doing next. Good luck with your studies.
  • charlotte1234
    Exactly 5 weeks after my exam and got my results. I passed :-) 1 down 5 to go.
  • dumutroba
    Well done!
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • Norvydas
    @dumutroba

Sorry for such late reply, been extremely busy!

To be honest with you, I haven't changed what I did previously much, I tried to include more information from case scenario and that was it. I have knowledge of other exams which is not the issue, the issue is that Professional Synoptic is such broad exam and you can be asked anything, the questions might seem tricky, and at the end of the day you don't know what the examiner is looking for in your answer so you have to write as much as you can. Second attempt was ok, got mixed up at question 2 then managed to quickly re-write it.. finished exam with 5 minutes left.

Now thinking about it, I have no clue how I managed to get "Below Requirement" on S W O T analysis + rations as these two are my biggest strengths..and this is what I mean by not knowing what AAT is looking for, I felt confident that these two questions were answered to high standard, well I was wrong..

I am not too fussed about failing the exam, as everyone has to fail at some point, of course it's not motivational to see "Not yet Competent" but that won't stop me, I will take the exam until I pass it :)

I started my L4 AAT on 1st April 2018, I hope to finish it by end of this year.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • dumutroba
    Hi Norvydas,

Thank you for your reply I am eager to finish it too, but I still got quite a way to go and not sure what to expect.
    But your post definitely hoped in that regards so thank you for those
    I am sure your will conclude the level 4 just as everyone does, the hardest thing is to start something, not finish it, so you already have been through the hardest

Good luck in your further studies
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • charlotte1234
    Wow Norvydas, That is a very short amount of time your allowing yourself, but it seems to be going well for you so far. I'm struggling to keep up with my 2 months per topic aim, with 3 kids and a job i'm finding it hard to fit it all in.
    You've done Decision and Control haven't you? I was not expecting all of these formulas to have to learn on performance indicators, I did my level 3, 5 years ago and trying to pick back up all the lingo.
  • Norvydas
    Hi @charlotte1234

I am studying to pass everything quicker so I can move on to ACCA, I am not studying for good grades, if I would then yes I would probably would allow myself a little bit longer. Also I don't have any children so I usually revise for 1-2hours per day.

Yes I've done Decision and Control, I was a bit uncomfortable sitting the exam purely because I heard a lot of people kept failing it so I wasn't too sure about it, but I am glad I managed to pass it first time. I think as far as you are good at writing you'll be fine as this is one of the hardest parts. It is easy to remember calculations and workings, however it is more difficult to write an report about your calculations and etc.

If you got any questions let me know! And good luck with your studies I hope it goes well!
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • charlotte1234
    I really struggle with the written parts, I tend to carry myself on the calculations but if i'm also struggling with this I feel like i'll never be able to pass. I was borderline with the written tasks with budgeting and exceeded with the others, I guess i just don't have a lot of confidence with myself at the moment life is a little crazy lol. Does it matter what percentage you get with a pass?
  • Norvydas
    @charlotte1234

Life is challenging and there are hard times, however we must keep going forwards! The more you practise written questions the better you gonna get, aat mock exams helped me to understand what the answer has to consist of.

Pass is 70-80%, as far as you get 70% you pass. I don't know anyone who would ask what grades you got in your AAT, as far as you say you got Level 4 done that's it, no one will interrogate you about percentage.

And another thing, from personal experience, working in practise/accounts firm is 100 times easier than what you learning now.

Good luck with your studies, if you got any questions just ask!
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • dumutroba
    I have been asked on a job interview what pass I have achieved. Also I have come across job advertisements that stated Distinction is an advantage
    Of course I can't see this to be very determining, but could give you a boost start especially if you have no work experience, in accountancy or anywhere else
    Xero Certified Advisor
Privacy Policy