How much should I expect to be paid?

Hello

I am coming to the end of my AAT qualification, this means that I have reached the end of my apprenticeship (finally!!). I'm assuming I will have a meeting with my boss to discuss what happens next and I am wondering what I should realistically be expecting to be paid.

I have 3 full years work experience covering: sales ledger, purchase ledger, credit control, payroll, management accounts, VAT returns, budgets, fixed asset registers and other admin duties. I have been researching pay and have been seeing figures in the range of 20-25k but have no idea how accurate this is.

I do think I will not be paid what I am worth but before I go and ask for more money I would like to know what I should expect.

Thank you

Comments

• CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    You have not said if it was level 3 or 4 that you have finished, I am assuming 4.

A lot of it depends on what you are planning on doing next. If you want them to pay for chartered qualification then you may expect less (20-21k) as they are paying for the training and if there is no further development then you could ask for more.

Also depends on the size of your employer, if your role will have supervisory responsibility, etc.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • Katied
    Katied Registered Posts: 11
    Thanks for your response, yes I am finishing level 4. In the company I am at there will be no further development so I will at some point be looking for other jobs to do my CIMA.

I am the only person in the accounting department reporting directly to the managing director so I do all tasks myself.
  • CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    Katied said:

Thanks for your response, yes I am finishing level 4. In the company I am at there will be no further development so I will at some point be looking for other jobs to do my CIMA.

If CIMA is what you are looking for then moving may be your best medium/long term bet.
    Katied said:

I am the only person in the accounting department reporting directly to the managing director so I do all tasks myself.

This may work to your advantage as you are the only one currently doing the job so they may pay more to avoid the hassle of having to train someone else up.

My advice would be to ask for higher than you want, then negotiate to an acceptable level. 22-23k wouldn't be unreasonable.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • Katied
    Katied Registered Posts: 11
    Thank you for your help!
Privacy Policy