AAT Remark and appeals process

Hi Everyone,

I have recently had the result from an exam and was 2 marks off. I was adamant that for one of the questions, I had written a near perfect answer as it was the question that I had revised just before the exam. On my exam feedback, it said I got borderline for that question which I am sure is wrong :(

Has anyone ever had an exam re-marked through AAT? I doubt they would bother giving me the extra 2 marks, but just curious to see if it has worked in anyone's favour or I am just giving AAT easy money?

If you did have a remark, how long did it take? The exam in question is my Level 3 Synoptic.

Thanks,
Jade

Comments

• CornishPixie
    CornishPixie Registered Posts: 115 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I have appealed my synoptic (level 4 though) and they didn't move my mark (I had 69%). However, you do get two or three lines of feedback for each question which I found really useful and I passed the exam fine at the next sitting. It is around £35 and was back within the deadline for appeals. Be aware that the feedback isn't detailed at all so don't expect too much information but it will give you an idea of where you went wrong in terms of answering the question posed. Your paper will be remarked by someone different as well which is good.
  • jadeterry
    jadeterry Registered Posts: 26

I have appealed my synoptic (level 4 though) and they didn't move my mark (I had 69%). However, you do get two or three lines of feedback for each question which I found really useful and I passed the exam fine at the next sitting. It is around £35 and was back within the deadline for appeals. Be aware that the feedback isn't detailed at all so don't expect too much information but it will give you an idea of where you went wrong in terms of answering the question posed. Your paper will be remarked by someone different as well which is good.

Thanks for responding, your answer has been really helpful. If I thought I did really well at a question and then didn't, do you think it would be worth doing it for the feedback lines then or not?

How long did it take to come back? my exam resit is 2 weeks tomorrow, so not sure if its worth doing if that's not enough time to get it back?

Thanks
  • VS1
    VS1 Registered Posts: 71
    I just called AAT because I had question regarding additional feedback too, rather than remarking. They said it has to be remarked in order to receive additional feedback. You have 10 days to submit and 20 working days to receive the results.
  • hal978
    hal978 Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If you want a breakdown of the number of marks by question, you could get this free under the Data Protection Act, by making a Subject Access Request.

I did this when I did my AQ2013 exams, which didn't even give you a percentage result.
  • soflynads
    soflynads Registered Posts: 7
    hal978 said:

If you want a breakdown of the number of marks by question, you could get this free under the Data Protection Act, by making a Subject Access Request.

I did this when I did my AQ2013 exams, which didn't even give you a percentage result.

Hi Hal978, how did you request for this? is there a certain form that I need to fill out?
  • jadeterry
    soflynads said:

hal978 said:

Hi Hal978, how did you request for this? is there a certain form that I need to fill out?
    Hal978,

Yes please can we have more info on this? This would be really useful.

Thanks,
    Jade
  • hal978
    hal978 Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi All, you could probably request more than what I requested, as I didn't need anymore. That would also be free under the Data Protection Act/GDPR. The only thing you can't request are the exam questions and your answers (the examination script).

I have sent you both a private message of the letter that I used, with changes, i.e. removing text that is no longer relevant. Send this letter to the customer support at AAT email address.
  • Hamzah1
    Hamzah1 Registered Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm in the same boat, I failed my Level 4 Decisions & Controls exam by 2%, which equals to 2.4 marks :/
    I'm thinking of paying £35 for it to be reviewed, but before I do; has anybody gone through that and had their grade changed in order to pass?
    Or am I better off resitting with a bit more revision lol
  • jadeterry
    Hamzah1 said:

Hi,
    I'm in the same boat, I failed my Level 4 Decisions & Controls exam by 2%, which equals to 2.4 marks :/
    I'm thinking of paying £35 for it to be reviewed, but before I do; has anybody gone through that and had their grade changed in order to pass?
    Or am I better off resitting with a bit more revision lol

Hi,

I would not bother paying. My training provider said that lots of students have done it and theres only been 1 occasion where they have changed the marks and it was for everyone sitting the exam. You are best just re-sitting asap. Good luck :)
  • Marshy77
    Marshy77 Registered Posts: 34
    Got to be honest and say don't bother. I had a 69% and didn't have my mark changed, it cost me £35 but did get a decent email from them regarding individual tasks but in the end I still had to resist. I've seen a few people have had marks changed but the majority don't.
  • Rio
    Rio Registered Posts: 7
    hal978 said:

Hi All, you could probably request more than what I requested, as I didn't need anymore. That would also be free under the Data Protection Act/GDPR. The only thing you can't request are the exam questions and your answers (the examination script).

I have sent you both a private message of the letter that I used, with changes, i.e. removing text that is no longer relevant. Send this letter to the customer support at AAT email address.

Hey, would you be able to send me the letter, how long did it take for them to reply

Thank you
  • Dorota_1680
    Dorota_1680 Registered Posts: 59
    edited July 2019
    Hi all! I have failed Professional Synoptic for the 3rd time with 55% which was the worse results so far. For One of the questions I was pretty sure I would get Met or Exceeded as I have done the question right but I got Significantly below requirement. Is it possible that they have missed checking this question at all? Is it worth it to appeal to get some feedback? How much information they are putting into the feedback?
  • Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉

Hi all! I have failed Professional Synoptic for the 3rd time with 55% which was the worse results so far. For One of the questions I was pretty sure I would get Met or Exceeded as I have done the question right but I got Significantly below requirement. Is it possible that they have missed checking this question at all? Is it worth it to appeal to get some feedback? How much information they are putting into the feedback?

Sorry to disappoint but AAT wouldn't miss to mark the question or even whole task.

What question are you referring to? In either case, have you referred to pre-release material when you were answering the question? Even if you've answered the question correctly if you are not referring your answer to pre-release material then you will be losing a lot of marks.

Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • Dorota_1680
    edited July 2019
    @Norvydas , Task 4 relevant Costing. How can I refer to Pre-Release Materials if I had to do some calculations and make a recommendation which location (UK or India) to use. I would not need to refer to Pre-Release Materials if I have all information given in the task plus it was very similar to Practice Assessment 2 on AAT site / Task 4 so I know I have done all calculation right and answers questions about which costs are relevant or not. In their model answers they did not refer to pre-release materials in this task...
  • Norvydas

@Norvydas , Task 4 relevant Costing. How can I refer to Pre-Release Materials if I had to do some calculations and make a recommendation which location (UK or India) to use. I would not need to refer to Pre-Release Materials if I have all information given in the task plus it was very similar to Practice Assessment 2 on AAT site / Task 4 so I know I have done all calculation right and answers questions about which costs are relevant or not. In their model answers they did not refer to pre-release materials in this task...

Is the company still Rawhide plc?
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • Dorota_1680
    @Norvydas , Yes it is and I have done it exactly the same it was shown on model answers on their web site...so what I have done wrong? I am appealing to get some feedback from them and if they could check my marks again...
  • Norvydas
    @Dorota_1680

Any chance you can email me the PDF file for the company. I do recall that at the bottom of pre-release information they were mentioning something about having external suppliers which are based in India? I think they were struggling to source all materials needed to Rawhide and there were some other issues. But I am not 100% certain now as I took my synoptic nearly a year ago now... If I can see the PDF I will tell you what should have been included in it.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • Dorota_1680
    @Norvydas I have just emailed you, thanks.
Privacy Policy