Failed the synoptic again!

I don't know if this is just me or if anybody else is in the same boat but, I got my results this weekend and it was not what I was expecting. This was my third attempt too and somehow I've managed to do even worse than the first two times (68%, 64%, 61%) which I find difficult to believe as I left questions unanswered the first two times. I was wondering if there's a way to get a better report on my performance instead of just getting the usual one which does not help the least bit. I don't know what I can even improve on because I felt this third attempt was my best one. I'm just wondering if its even worth retrying because it seems like its not passable for me and the thing which is really demotivating is the fact that its the only exam I have reaming and I passed all the other exams no difficulty. Can anyone give me some advise.

Comments

• Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi @Atahar01 , it's not just you who struggles with Synoptics. There are a lot of people who find it difficult, as it is very broad exam, it can be out of any units you've previously studied. As this is the third time you've failed then it might be a good idea to enrol with a provider for preparation of your Synoptic exam. I have failed it once aswell, and barely passed it 2 nd time, the only reason I passed it because when I checked my answers, I realised that my answer wasn't what examiner was asking, I quickly managed to fix that (I thought 100% its going to be a fail but I managed to scrape a pass)... I didn't had any issues with previous exams either, most people are like this though, Synoptic is whole different level.
    The only advice I can give, is to make sure your writing skills are A+, make sure you know how to write a detailed answer without blurp. Be specific about what you talking, back your words by figures/scenario. RE-READ the question 10 times if you need to, the questions are very very tricky, and if you don't read the questions well enough is guaranteed fail. I wish you all the best for your next attempt, and remember DON'T GIVE UP now! As you've said this is the last exam you have, giving up now would be very silly.

Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • jjk2018
    jjk2018 Registered Posts: 9
    Did you refer your answer back to pre-release material ? Also you can have a look at the AAT website, marking scheme questions and answers, make sure to put down everything you knows in your answer, for example when they ask you about budgeting, you need to mention pros and cons of the budget method used, even the question didn't ask for pros and cons.

I passed my exam on my 4th attend, just keep trying, you were close to 70%, all you need to learn is answering teachique
  • Atahar01
    Atahar01 Registered Posts: 14
    Thank you for the feed back guys.

And for those of you wondering whether its worth getting your assessment remarked, I wouldn't recommend it as I did it myself the first time I failed by 2 marks but they said they would not change it and didn't even give good feedback as they said it would somehow give away too much information about the exam.
  • Sineadp
    Sineadp Registered Posts: 67
    I have sat this exam twice now 61% then 67% this time. I just don't know who to go to for help? im struggling with this exam so much I am learning it on my own but this time I don't think I will be able to.
  • Vmazzo
    Vmazzo Registered Posts: 9
    I’m in the same position sat this exam 5 times and have yet to pass. However my recent result was 67% so I was gutted. I’m struggling on question 3, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Am I to use spam soap and point out the internal control and recommend on how to improve this? Who knows.. I’ve tried changed the way I’ve answered this question each time I’ve sat it. With no luck of getting more marks. No idea where I’m going wrong.
  • Samcro
    Samcro Registered Posts: 3
    Same here :s

• Marshy77
    Marshy77 Registered Posts: 34
    I'm going to sit this next month. For those that have taken it and unfortunately failed it, have you used the pre release material that AAT give you? I've printed this out and have been using it to base my revision around. Is that a good way of revising? I was wondering if you can kind of second guess what types of questions will be asked based on the pre release material and the way it is written.
  • Norvydas
    Marshy77 said:

I'm going to sit this next month. For those that have taken it and unfortunately failed it, have you used the pre release material that AAT give you? I've printed this out and have been using it to base my revision around. Is that a good way of revising? I was wondering if you can kind of second guess what types of questions will be asked based on the pre release material and the way it is written.

The whole exam is from pre-release materials... The exam will relate to what AAT has released. When I revised from pre-release material I was kind of guessing what questions could come up in the exam and prepare for them.

Read the pre-release material, memorize it and this will help you a lot.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • Marshy77
    Norvydas said:

Marshy77 said:

The whole exam is from pre-release materials... The exam will relate to what AAT has released. When I revised from pre-release material I was kind of guessing what questions could come up in the exam and prepare for them.

Read the pre-release material, memorize it and this will help you a lot.
    Great, thanks for your reply. Think I may be on the right track with my revision now.
  • Norvydas
    @Marshy77 Just make sure you're familiar with pre-release material. When you reading it, break it down, every sentence and then think to yourself "ok, what question could potentially AAT ask me from this sentence" then think of the answer. This helped me a lot, as I had a lot of scenarios in my head of what I could be asked, of course out of all of them I got like 1 question that I was ready for but again, it helps if you can get full marks on at least 1 question.

Also make sure your written skills are good and you know how to write cleared and well structured paragraphs. I can't remember but I think Task 1 & 5 are easiest so make sure you are well prepared for them - they are easy because they are not written tasks so they are easy marks if you know your theory. Spend most of your time on written tasks and make sure you know what you're being asked to do before you start answering the question.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • Marshy77
    Norvydas said:

@Marshy77 Just make sure you're familiar with pre-release material. When you reading it, break it down, every sentence and then think to yourself "ok, what question could potentially AAT ask me from this sentence" then think of the answer. This helped me a lot, as I had a lot of scenarios in my head of what I could be asked, of course out of all of them I got like 1 question that I was ready for but again, it helps if you can get full marks on at least 1 question.

Also make sure your written skills are good and you know how to write cleared and well structured paragraphs. I can't remember but I think Task 1 & 5 are easiest so make sure you are well prepared for them - they are easy because they are not written tasks so they are easy marks if you know your theory. Spend most of your time on written tasks and make sure you know what you're being asked to do before you start answering the question.

For anyone taking the exam this is really useful advice.

I did my exam in order of Task 5 and 1 and then worked my way through the rest of the tasks. I hope/think I answered them very well. The other 4 tasks I'm 50/50 on. I think I did ok, referred back to the pre release but thinking back I should have related it back further and included more key points to the pre release.
Privacy Policy