Question 8 result for MABU exam Dec 2018

Hello,
just got my results and was surprised to find that I had a Borderline on tasks 8 and 5 (got 90% overall).
Task 5 I expected, because the second half of the question was phrased in a way that I did not understand what AAT was asking me - so I know that I must have interpreted the question incorrectly. That's fine.
Task 8 however... I am pretty confident with ratios, and, with the numerous exam past papers that we have completed, expected to get reasonable marks for parts 2 and 3. Sorry if this sounds arrogant.
I guess my questions are:-
- has anyone else who took their exam around December 2018 received a mark much lower than what they were expecting for Task 8?
- would anyone say that the Task 8 was an 'unusual' task 8, or of a similar style to past papers / mocks? (I thought mine was pretty normal - but maybe I missed something?)
- has anyone asked for a Full Review from AAT before and if you have, was it marked lower or higher? (I only know of one person who has had a Review, and their mark went down)

Comments

• Caroline_P
    Caroline_P Registered Posts: 2
    Thanks Taryn and Norvydas

It will be interesting if a whole bunch of us get a low mark on 5 or 8.

I don't think I went into the examination overconfident, and I had sufficient time to check each of my tasks etc. However, the idea that I misinterpreted task 8 is the only explanation I can find - disappointing though it may be. Either that, or its to do with the mark scheme. Oh well.
  • Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited January 2019

Thanks Taryn and Norvydas

It will be interesting if a whole bunch of us get a low mark on 5 or 8.

I don't think I went into the examination overconfident, and I had sufficient time to check each of my tasks etc. However, the idea that I misinterpreted task 8 is the only explanation I can find - disappointing though it may be. Either that, or its to do with the mark scheme. Oh well.

You've passed - don't worry about it anymore! Extremely rarely your employer/future employer will ask what grades did you got in your exams, if you planning studying ACCA/CIMA they won't care what % you got as far as you've passed - exemptions will be the same for all who passed, irrelevant of the overall %.

Me personally, I wanted to finish L4 ASAP (did it within 6-7months) so the grades were irrelevant for me as far as I've passed, I understand that others might be trying for Merits / Distinctions, but I think at this level it's meaningless.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • dumutroba
    dumutroba Registered Posts: 262
    Hi there I sat MABU end of November, but task 5 was not written question, and task 8 was about variances, not ratios, do you mean FSLC by any chance?
    AAT Level 2. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 3. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 4. 2019 FSLC 100% MABU 93% MADC 82% PDSY 80%
    Xero Certified Advisor
Privacy Policy