Is AAT level 2 so hard for international student?

Options
Hi All,

There is AAT level 2 college part time course starting this week and I really can’t decide whether I should start or not as a lot things going on in my life. I am not a native English speaker and dying to get a job. I only passed level 2 functional skills in Maths and English. My reading speed will be no way similar to people whose first language is English. I am very new to accounting, no such backgrounds at all. Really wonder how hard it would be? I only do volunteer work one day a week but I have 3 year old child and is handful and lawsuit proceeding will be starting in a week time as well(very stressful assuming I will need greater time to prepare for this).

Additionally, I have been doing the extendion in my house and went wrong with the kitchen so the house is really mess at the moment and don’t know when ever is going to be finished. Three bathrooms needs to be replaced asap as they are all broken. Literally, extremely tired due to the amount of work, stress and lack of sleep. I really appreciate if someone encourage me a little bit.

Lastly, is there any chance to be given more time at the exam for international student or not?

Thank you.

Comments

• Bubble
    Bubble Registered Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi.
    If you need encouragement I can tell you it is possible for a foreign person to pass AAT. I am foreign ( NCFE English L2 is my only English qualification :D) and I'm self studying and so far it goes good, I passed my first exam and booking second one now. Books are written in very simple English and there is a lot of practice available. As about the course, I've read here that all students have to wait until everyone is ready to pass exams. So if you're not afraid to be that person everyone will be waiting for, you should be fine, they are giving you plenty of time.
    As any course no matter of language it requires time. I'm not sure in what tempo course usually goes but I guess you'll need at least 6 hours a week. If you have that time and you're dying to find a work, go for it. Or if you have so many problems that bring you a lot of stress and consume all your spare time then maybe you should wait until your court problem will go away as preparing for exams could be stressful and time consuming too.
    Oh and I don't think they would allow extra time for an international student or any dictionary or any other special treatment. If you want to have same job as English person you should be able to work in the same pace as everyone.
    Hope it helps and good luck with your decision :)
  • Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi @loveaat,

I am from Lithuania originally, I have passed Level 2,3 and I've nearly finished level 4, hope to move to ACCA afterwards. My colleague at work is from different country and she is qualified ACCA aswell. My mother's friend who barley speaks English has finished Level 2 without any issues and in fact she got best grades in whole class (95%+).
    If you have so much going on then I wouldn't recommend signing up with college as u will feel pressurised by dedlines. I have done my studies online (via online training provider) and had no issues, did exams in my own time, had online tutor help if I needed, also it was a lot cheaper and I moved with my own pace! You won't get any extra time etc in exams, but L2 exams are very basic and I think you'll see for yourself that it is nothing to be afraid of.

Drop me a message if you have any more questions! And i hope you ok!
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • dumutroba
    dumutroba Registered Posts: 262
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hi there
    I am also not a native English speaker and have Functional skills level 2 in English and Maths and I passed AAT level 2 & 3 this year, currently working towards achieving level 4.
    By the looks of it you will have no problem achieving level 2 an probably best way will be through distance learnig /self study so you don't feel pressured since you seem to have a lot going on. I did self study and I found it alright, study when you can and sit exam when ready.
    Just like you I was sceptical if I can do it, but results can be suprising and you will find out that you will build your self confidence pretty quickly.

Good luck in your decisions
    AAT Level 2. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 3. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 4. 2019 FSLC 100% MABU 93% MADC 82% PDSY 80%
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • Moy
    Moy Registered Posts: 13
    Options
    > @dumutroba said:
    > Hi there
    > I am also not a native English speaker and have Functional skills level 2 in English and Maths and I passed AAT level 2 & 3 this year, currently working towards achieving level 4.
    > By the looks of it you will have no problem achieving level 2 an probably best way will be through distance learnig /self study so you don't feel pressured since you seem to have a lot going on. I did self study and I found it alright, study when you can and sit exam when ready.
    > Just like you I was sceptical if I can do it, but results can be suprising and you will find out that you will build your self confidence pretty quickly.
    >
    > Good luck in your decisions
    >

I m thinking to do the AAT level 2 as well with distance learning/self but I don't know if it is difficult. How can I start to do it? Where can I get information? Is possible to do in 6 months? Thanks very much
  • dumutroba
    Options
    You can get info on AAT official website
    In terms of difficulty you want know until you try it, yoy can always start self stud9if that is your preference and if you decide that is not for you to find a provider
    I start by reserching potential providers, but then decided that I want to save my money and went self studying, because like you I wasn't sure how I will manage.
    After an year I feel quite comfortable with the accounting language and even improved my writing skills, not to mention the boost of confidence it will give you
    Have a look around the internet and other forums what people are doing in your position and you will have an idea what to do and how to start

Good luck
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • dumutroba
    Options
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • Moy
    Options
    Thanks very much! I think I will try by my self. Now i need the books. What about the software? Thanks again
  • dumutroba
    edited January 2019
    Options
    For the Sage you can use the trial version to practice, it is free for a month, many people do just that myself included
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • Moy
    Options
    Thanks very much! One more thing: Do you know if is possible to practice the  exam when I inscribe for it with the att web? How long time do i have for prepare the exam when i pay for it? Can I decide when I want to go to the exam?
  • dumutroba
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Once you sign up with AAT you will have access to mock test and study help on their website
    Exams you book with an exam provider of your choice, you can check venues around you here https://www.aat.org.uk/assessment-venues/search
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • Moy
    Options
    Hello! Do you know how can i have access to the tests for level 2 because I sign up in AAT web but here I can't see any option for it. I only can see the tests for the level 1 and I have already done the exam in December. Thanks
  • Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    @Moy

Are you AAT student and have a student membership? If so you should be able to go to; https://www.aat.org.uk/ log in. After you've logged in you will be directed to the main page, there should be a link saying "study support search" clink on this and then you should be redirected to Level 2/3/4 exams, in there you can find mock exams and etc.

But you have to be registered with AAT as a student.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 🤖 Admin 🤖
    Options
    @Norvydas perfect explanation!

@Moy Yes, you'll need to be registered firstly with us and also be enrolled onto the correct course/qualification to have access to the relevant practice materials you want to use. If you want us to check, you can either call the customer support team on +44 (0) 20 3735 2468 or email them on customersupport@aat.org.uk and they'll be able to find out for you :)
Privacy Policy