Really struggling to pass Decision & Control Exam :( - any tips are required please?

Emmalouise18
Emmalouise18 Registered Posts: 237 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I have sat Decision and control exam 3 times and got 69%, then 60% and then 66%.

I am really struggling to pass this exam. I failed on activity based costing and also linear regression table which I have no clue how to answer.

There isn't much in the Osbourne text book on these topics, and wondered if anyone had any tips/ website pages/ book recommendations that both these sections are in?

This is costing a fortune to keep resitting these exams, and loosing confidence also.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• NickCraggs
    NickCraggs Registered, Tutor Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    We have a blog on the written questions in this exam which might help:

https://www.firstintuition.co.uk/fihub/written-variance-questions-in-the-decision-and-control-assessment/
    Nick Craggs FMAAT AATQB ACA, AAT Branch Member and Distance Learning Director at First Intuition

firstintuition.co.uk/
  • Emmalouise18
    Thank you very much
  • mcmc
    mcmc Registered Posts: 7
    the regression equation looks harder than it is

y = a + bx

a = the fixed element
    bx = the variable element

often you just need to use the high low method to work out:
    a - (the fixed element)
    b - (the variable cost per unit) - and x equals the number of units.
  • Emmalouise18
    Thank you very much.- I have practiced this and it makes more sense now
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉

I have sat Decision and control exam 3 times and got 69%, then 60% and then 66%.

I am really struggling to pass this exam. I failed on activity based costing and also linear regression table which I have no clue how to answer.

There isn't much in the Osbourne text book on these topics, and wondered if anyone had any tips/ website pages/ book recommendations that both these sections are in?

This is costing a fortune to keep resitting these exams, and loosing confidence also.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Hi Emma,

I feel your pain.... I have sat this exam on 4 separate occasions now. First attempt was 47%, I am not sure why I continued to push myself for it as I really was not ready. The second attempt I got 62% which I was really happy with, although I knew from the exam it wasn't a pass I did feel a lot more confident. After a few months of more revision and mock exams I felt ready again, this time I got 48%, which I was so shocked with! I couldn't believe that I had done worse than the previous attempt...… I had put a lot more hours of study in, my college sent me extra materials to help but it wasn't my time... Anyway I put this down to a real 'bad' exam. My last attempt was in June where I failed again and got 52%.... although only a slight increase from the previous attempt I know I am back on the right direction and clearly making some progress.

I have decided to take a month off before reattempting for the 5th and hopefully the FINAL time.... So come September MDCL I'm ready for you again. :)

Anyway sorry about my rambling. What I am getting to is....it really is a hard exam, my tutors advise is just to stick with it, keep practicing, keep doing mocks and getting your tutors feedback, also look into the AAT mocks online and go through the Examiners Report, you can pick up some handy tips from there. It is so demotivating when you get that result of being 'not yet competent', however the time will come when it is a pass, and it'll be so worth the pain. Hard work and determination will see you through - Best of luck :)
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • Emmalouise18
    Hello,

Thank you so much for your message.

I feel your pain as-well - its a horrible exam and I know they pulled it and reduced the questions and looked at the content but it's still exceptionally hard.

The exam is different every time you sit it - the questions are awful and I feel examiners are harsh when marking them.

I purchased some BPP books, and looked at Kaplan books and questions also and actually sat the exam for the 4th time last week. - Fingers Crossed!

Your right - it is so demotivating when you see the 'not yet competent'.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Good luck for your resit and fingers crossed you get 'COMPETENT' :)
  • amurray
    Thank you Emma. Keeping my fingers crossed for you too!
  • Emmalouise18
    I have passed the Decision and Control exam now!

Thank you so much to everyone that has commented on here offering help! It worked!

Just the synoptic to go, then I am qualified :)
  • amurray

I have passed the Decision and Control exam now!

Thank you so much to everyone that has commented on here offering help! It worked!

Just the synoptic to go, then I am qualified :)

Many congrats Emma! I am due to sit my MDCL again...... put it back to concentrate some more on practicing!
  • Emmalouise18
    Thank you!!

Aww what result did you get?

It is such a hard exam, you do right though - the more practicing the better.
    I bought BPP Decision and Control Question bank to help me which gave me so many different variation of questions to do, as I got used to the same questions on AAT.
  • amurray
    My highest result is 62%, the last attempt was 58%..... hopefully next weeks sitting I will achieve 70%+ :) and PASS this horrible one....
  • Emmalouise18
    How was the exam?

It is a horrible horrible exam. I hated it!

Fingers crossed you have passed! :)
  • amurray

How was the exam?

It is a horrible horrible exam. I hated it!

Fingers crossed you have passed! :)

Hi Emma,
    Thanks for asking - it actually went quite well (we will soon see in 6 weeks though!), this is the most confident I have felt in the MDCL exam and I have sat it a few times now...…

Have you sat your exam yet? :)
Privacy Policy