Level 2 needed to pass level 3?

I've passed level 1 bookkeeping and accounting software and I looked at some stuff for AAT accounting foundation level 2 by myself. I took a maths test, an English test and a accounting skills test and managed to get on a level 3 accounting course.
My question is, is it reasonably possible to pass AAT level 3 accounting without sitting the level 2 first or should I definitely do AAT accounting level 2 first?
I'm trying to look AAT accounting level 2 content before September enrollment dates for either level.

Comments

• AaronCurtinAAT
    AaronCurtinAAT Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    I have done level 2, and am now on Level 3. And I would say yes, but I don't know for sure.

Lots of Level 3 stuff builds on stuff from level 3, but you may be able to pick it up as you go.
    I would say look through the level 2 & 3 syllabus and see how much of it you can get a grasp of.
  • Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    @Jban

If you know your double-entry bookkeeping then I can't see why not.. To be honest, Level 2 is extremely basic, Level 3 is slightly bit harder and Level 4 that's where the interesting stuff begins.

If your goal is to do ACCA/CIMA I would skip AAT and go into chartered level straight away.To finish Level 2,3,4 will take you a while (took me around 2 years I think) and all you will get is 3 exemptions from ACCA papers, those 3 papers can be done within 6 months or even quicker.

But again, depends by your goals, revision and how well you take in the information..
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • AaronCurtinAAT
    AaronCurtinAAT Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Wish I could of gone straight into ACCA, but it wasn't given to me as an option... only level 2 & then 3.
  • AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 🤖 Admin 🤖
    Jban said:

I've passed level 1 bookkeeping and accounting software and I looked at some stuff for AAT accounting foundation level 2 by myself. I took a maths test, an English test and a accounting skills test and managed to get on a level 3 accounting course.
    My question is, is it reasonably possible to pass AAT level 3 accounting without sitting the level 2 first or should I definitely do AAT accounting level 2 first?
    I'm trying to look AAT accounting level 2 content before September enrollment dates for either level.

It's well worth doing Level 2 first. We know those who start with Level 2 have a higher rate of completing AAT than those who start at Level 3 or 4. With the foundation and advanced qualification complete, you can also seek employment in the sector and potentially an employer who can help pay for your studies.

We also have the Skillcheck tool which will help you decide where to start.
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    I wanted to start at level 2 or 3...but my college actually suggested that I should start at level ONE, for which they were offering all those who did a free first year's membership to AAT. So I took it. xD Breezed level 1 in a week, 2 and 3 took a year to do.

At the time, I was unemployed, with little work history and nothing relevant to accounting, and a maths degree that was already about 10 years old and dusty. Employers didn't even start taking my job applications seriously enough to interview me until I finished level 2, and I only got a job after finishing level 3 (which I'm still in now, 3½ years on). Did my level 4 exams in my first year in work, my project and MAAT in my second year, took some time to focus on my job, and am now heading through ACCA.

Sometimes, doing the easy early levels can be a good idea even if you technically don't NEED to - just as a refresher course, ease you into the subject, or even just to help you get back into the swing of studying regularly. :)
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • Jules18
    Jules18 Registered, Tutor Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited August 2019
    Hi AAT_Team Administrator

'It's well worth doing Level 2 first. We know those who start with Level 2 have a higher rate of completing AAT than those who start at Level 3 or 4.'

Just out of interest what is the breakdown data % of completion of the full AAT qualification between between those who start at Level 2 and those who start at Level 3/4? I would be grateful if you could share it with us.
  • chloee1243
    chloee1243 Registered Posts: 3
    I've just completed level 3 without doing level 2 and having no prior knowledge. I found it manageable as long as you keep up with revision and have dedicated time to it every week! Ive managed to get a distinction in every exam (except synoptic as still awaiting that result!!) so it is definitely manageable to do 3 without 2
  • Jban
    Jban Registered Posts: 10
    I've been doing self directed learning, looking at level 2 topics youtube and in general online. The forum has been really helpful for stuff that wasn't clear.
    Based on the few online tests that I've found - some more would be really helpful!- I've decided to go for the level 3. I shall update on how I get on.
  • Jban
    Brief update - I've passed the L3 Advanced Bookkeeping unit assessment so that's one done.
  • Jban
    Update: I passed level 3 (without any resits) without sitting the level 2 and am due to start level 4 shortly.
Privacy Policy