Anybody sitting the L4 Synoptic this month?

Just wondered if anyone else is taking their Professional Level Synoptic this month? If so, does anyone have any tips to pass? :s

Comments

• Kirst91
    Kirst91 Registered Posts: 3
    Mine is on the 21st, im afraid i have no tips but i feel your pain, it is a really tough one and i am yet to feel confident with any part of it :s:s
  • Purple_pain
    Purple_pain Registered Posts: 15
    I'm just about to sit it for the third time, was only 6% off last time but I've found the Level 4 extremely frustrating. It seems to be based more on your grasp of English than on figures. I found my Post Grad Diploma easier to pass than this!!!!!!!!
  • Dorota_1680
    Dorota_1680 Registered Posts: 59
    @TarynPitchfork, I have mine on 21st as well :( I have failed this exam few times now so I would really want to pass this time round!
  • TarynPitchfork
    TarynPitchfork Registered Posts: 39
    I have just ordered the Kaplan PDSY Exam kit 2019 and I'm finding it very helpful as the questions are all about Ruby Dale. Takes 3-5 Working days to get delivered but you can access it online as soon as you purchase it :) I have my exam on the 19th x
  • Fee2019
    Fee2019 Registered Posts: 25
    @TarynPitchfork I have just ordered the entire Kaplan PDSY Exam Kit too myself; glad you are finding this helpful - I hope I find it as helpful!
    Best of luck for your exam x
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I recently passed the synoptic. I'd recommend not doing the questions in the order given but instead do them in the order you generally find easier.

The advice I saw said go Tasks 1+5 first as they are computer marked and can be learned effectively by book. For T1 be happy with ledgers and how they interact as well as ethics. T5 is ratios and interpreting them. Then do Task 3 as that's the find 5 weaknesses so tends to be straight forwards. Then Tasks 6 -4 - 2. Task 6 is likely either a SWOT or CBA based on the posts I've seen. Task 4 is likely to be a decision task and Task 2 budgeting.

I'd say another big element is to use the scrap paper and refer to the pre exam material. On your first read through of the larger questions jot anything useful on the scrap as bullet points e.g Joe Bloggs Recieves and pays invoices for the company which for Task 3 could be used as a seperation weakness. or no one checks credit limits before allowing sales.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • amankahlon
    amankahlon Registered Posts: 14
    Mine s also on the 16th Nov. I would suggest to buy kaplan Exam kit and also it all about Ruby dale ltd .its really helpful for exam.
  • amankahlon
    > @Pian32 said:
    > I recently passed the synoptic. I'd recommend not doing the questions in the order given but instead do them in the order you generally find easier.
    >
    > The advice I saw said go Tasks 1+5 first as they are computer marked and can be learned effectively by book. For T1 be happy with ledgers and how they interact as well as ethics. T5 is ratios and interpreting them. Then do Task 3 as that's the find 5 weaknesses so tends to be straight forwards. Then Tasks 6 -4 - 2. Task 6 is likely either a SWOT or CBA based on the posts I've seen. Task 4 is likely to be a decision task and Task 2 budgeting.
    >
    > I'd say another big element is to use the scrap paper and refer to the pre exam material. On your first read through of the larger questions jot anything useful on the scrap as bullet points e.g Joe Bloggs Recieves and pays invoices for the company which for Task 3 could be used as a seperation weakness. or no one checks credit limits before allowing sales.

Hi . What was the task 2 and 4 look like in ur exam ?
  • AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 🤖 Admin 🤖
    @amankahlon a contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise.
  • rachmcfc
    rachmcfc Registered Posts: 36
    I have my exam on 18th November and having already failed this 3 times, I can say that I am absolutely dreading it! I have no confidence at all in this exam! I think the next step for me is ‘call it a day’ because I clearly do not understand what they want from me in this exam and I cannot find the help and support that I need.
  • amankahlon
    > @AAT_Team said:
    > @amankahlon a contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise.

I m sorry my meant to asked about task was r they look a like in aat sample assessments ?
  • TarynPitchfork
    @rachmcfc what tasks do you struggle on? Mines the day after yours :s x
  • Desi
    Desi Registered Posts: 9
    I failed 3 times ☹.I am really struggling with this exam too.I am going to sit the exam next week. Can you please help me ???I would really appreciate if you send me through any more information about Ruby dale Ltd.I bought Kaplan book and BPP book last summer and I can't see any assessment about Ruby dale ltd?
  • Fee2019
    Fee2019 Registered Posts: 25
    Hi @Desi
    If I understand correctly, if you purchased the Kaplan & BPP book last summer then these books would not be based on Ruby Dale Ltd due to Ruby Dale coming into effect as of September 2019. :/
  • Desi
    Hi @Fee2019 .I know we are trying to study so hard and failing many times is horrible. This one is gona be my last AAT exam level 4 anyway.Hopefully I pass,fingers crossed ? for sure no ACCA or something else.the AAT was hard enough for me ??
  • Pian32
    @amankahlon The assessments tend to looks a little different as there are multiple ways to show data and how they might format answers. On one of mine I was a little thrown off but for obvious reasons I can't go into detail but I'd advise at looking into different formats for showing data and calculations in case you get something different from your usual. e.g Different methods use different numbers of columns for calculations on statements. I've seen both 2 and 3 column methods but in an exam performa you'll be given one or the other.

@Desi You might not be able to practice with Ruby Dale directly but the skills from the other practices should help. Go through the questions you have and instead of focusing on the answer look at what types of things are asked and apply it to the Ruby Dale material where possible (you can get some silly answers like this but it'll help you become familiar with Ruby Dale.) I got an awful lot of information about the exam by looking at what questions were being asked on the practices.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • rachmcfc
    @TarynPitchfork basically all the written tasks, I just don’t seem to be able to relate anything to the prerelease material. I have found my exams completely different to any mocks that I have looked at and I have never been good in an exam environment, I just seem to go into complete meltdown and brain freeze! I think this is going to be my fourth and final attempt and I feel it will be much worse than my previous 3 attempts because I have had a break in between and just cannot get back into it!
  • Desi
    @Pian32 Thank for your support. Let's practice as much as we can .Good luck to everyone for the next week .
  • aroonaz
    aroonaz Registered Posts: 51
    @Desi do u have anything for cba?
  • aroonaz
    @Fee2019 @TarynPitchfork plz can u share ur online content of kaplan exam kit 2019. i would be soo grateful . thanks.
  • Desi
    @aroonaz CBA is basically a question that tell you about a system or a company and then goes on to say about potential changes the company are thinking of implementing. These changes could be something like a new accounting, a new sales system etc.
    Compare costs against all the benefits of the proposed system.
    Costs are split into 2 different types as tangible and intangible.
    Tangible costs are things such:
    Cost of new system
    Cost of installation of new system
    Cost of staff training on the new system
    Subscriptions/renewals annual costs of new system.

Intangible costs :
    Cost of staff not doing work due to staff tra8.
    Cost of time spent training staff on new system
    Cost of staff making mistakes due to getting to grips with new system.

Tangible benefits:
    Increased revenue/profit
    Less errors/mistakes

Intangible benefits :
    Improved customer service
    Improved customer satisfaction
    Improved staff satisfaction.

In the end we have to see if proposed costs outweigh the proposed benefits. Or the proposed benefits outweigh the proposed costs.Also give examples to support your answer
  • aroonaz
    thanks for your reply. i can understand which things have to mention in cba. but wht about the column of calculation we get in exam. how to tackle it. which tool to use like net present or something else? or wht about dicount factor( they never give it) if we use net present value method to decide wheather the new system is cost benefit or not?
  • rachmcfc
    @aroonaz this is one of the biggest things I am struggling with. I understand what costs and benefits to consider but I have no idea how you are supposed to lay out your calculations in the tables. I have tried 2 different ways and both times got significantly below so I am clearly not understanding what it is they want.
  • aroonaz
    yes this is the problem. i searched alot but did not find any table like what we get in our exam. i tried hard last time and get borderline which means i have good knowledge of cba but could not find out the tool for calculation.
  • rachmcfc
    @Desi I have just read your comment as this is a question I am really struggling with. I understand what costs and benefits to include but I am really struggling with how you are supposed to complete the calculations table. One of the problems being if you are not given monetary values of some of the tangible costs/benefits than how do we know if the costs outweigh the benefits? Or could you simply state that “if the costs outweigh the benefits then the company should not go ahead with the proposed change”?
    Thank you in advance.
  • Pian32
    The CBA question should have enough information to calculate the costs for any tables. These are what you would include in the table if there is potentially more tangible benefits which aren't costed they'll probably be part of the followup questions.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • TarynPitchfork
    No sure if the attached will help anybody :)
  • Desi
    @rachmcfc simply state costs and benefits and you see the difference could be negative or positive.should be recommended or not(new system accounting software etc......)it depends. If benefits outweigh cost the answer should be yes .if not no.
  • rachmcfc
    Thank you! x
Privacy Policy