AAT - level 4 synoptic

Just sat my exam for the 2nd time and I know I failed miserably ???. The exam was so different. I feel I didn’t know enough cost benefits analysis, did anyone think the same? I don’t have any mock questions on my BPP book at all!

Comments

• Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    @CarlaGroves ,

Have you been practising AAT mocks? How do you find them? Revision for Synoptic exam is difficult as the exam is from all units, which makes revision very difficult. I have some workbooks from Premier Training in regards of synoptic exam. If you want i can take a picture of questions and send it to you? I haven't used them at all so there's no writings on them.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • amberfernjones
    amberfernjones Registered Posts: 7
    hi Carla, which question does cost benefit analysis relate to please
  • CarlaGroves
    CarlaGroves Registered Posts: 9
    @amberfernjones I’m afraid I can’t say too much about the exam. Just practice as much as you can.
  • CarlaGroves
    @Norvydas I have but it seemed very very different. That would be great! I would appreciate all the help I can get, as I know I need to resist the exam as soon as I get my result.
    My email address is
    Carlagroves@me.com
  • Norvydas
    Ok I will e-mail it to you when I get back home from work!
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • CarlaGroves
    @Norvydas thank you so much!!!!
  • aroonaz
    aroonaz Registered Posts: 51
    i got cost benefit analysis as well... and i did not even know about it. it was not in the book as well
  • CarlaGroves
    @aroonaz I’ve complained to AAT. I’ve looked back thought all my books and can’t find any similar questions to practice.
  • Casu777
    Casu777 Registered Posts: 7
    Carla
    First intuition and Kaplan both do appropriate revision questions (and lots of them, plus a fair few mocks - you would have about 8 between them and the AAT at least). Sounds like you should complain to your existing training provider.
  • ammw90
    ammw90 Registered Posts: 24
    @CarlaGroves
    I sat the synoptic today for the first time and I also Had question on cost benefit analysis. Except theoretical aspects there is NOTHING in any of my books, not once did I have the opportunity to calculate. Feel utterly disheartened. D on't have this in BPP, Kaplan nor Osborne - find it hard to believe I would have missed it off....
  • jjk2018
    jjk2018 Registered Posts: 9
    I got the same question... no idea how to answer, but I put something down in the box, so just hope to get few marks... I attended 4 times , and still struggle to past. Not much I can do, just keep trying until I pass it, I was so close to 70% each time.
  • Kate95
    Kate95 Registered Posts: 8
    I had this question when I sat my exam on Friday, sat for about half an hour wondering what to do as never seen it before! Not seen in any of the Kaplan material or on any mocks, don’t know how we’re supposed to know something we’ve not been taught ? Cost benefit analsis is covered but not what the question asked for ?
  • ammw90
    ammw90 Registered Posts: 24
    @Kate95 My Point Exactly! I've got Kaplan, BPP and Osborne books, exam practice and pocket notes. Not one exercise shows the actual calculation, only the theory behind it. Whilst I understand the mechanism and the purpose of this it is not the same having to actually complete one!.Same applies to the discussion box that was expected to be filled in. I was looking at it wondering what did they want from me. Let's hope it's enough to pass but to be fair I am not holding my breath.. :(
  • Kate95
    Kate95 Registered Posts: 8
    @ammw90 I completely get what you’re saying I was the exact same!
    This is the second time I’ve sat this exam and can’t bare to do the revision for it a third time ??
  • EHarris
    EHarris Registered Posts: 3
    "Relevant Costing" relates quite closely to cost benefit analysis, there is a small section on this with a few Test Your Understanding in the Kaplan book. This is the method of costing you will need to use for cost benefit analysis.

Remember to disregard any sunken costs from the analysis :)

In the discussion box i think they want you to discuss the financial benefits, so calculate what difference implementing the change will have, i.e sales will increase by x%

Also its always good to discuss non financial benefits or advantages such as staff moral, reputation etc

They may also want you to look at whether it is worth making the change, sometimes the cost to implement the new system far outweighs the benefit you will gain.

Hope this helps!
  • Vmazzo
    Vmazzo Registered Posts: 9
    Can anyone help me with the structure of my answer for question 4. Internal controls?

I’ve sat this exam a number of times now and have yet to pass it! :(
  • Wut
    Wut Registered Posts: 6
    I wrote very minimal to the point answers for this and I exceeded in the exam in this area. I did refer to info provided in the pre-release. It is wise that you revise and know all the major cycles inside out, including cash. Hope this helps.
  • GMS1992
    GMS1992 Registered Posts: 27
    I found with this question you need to minimise the amount of waffle you write.
    I just put
    What - what is the internal control weakness
    Why - why this causes an issue within the company
    How - recommend how this can be changed/fixed
  • Vmazzo
    Vmazzo Registered Posts: 9
    Could you give me examples of internal control weaknesses. Do you mean spam soap? Or for example picking up that the manger is not looking at invoices before paying suppliers therefore to improve this if suggest the manger to gather all invoices to be paid to the supplier and check payments are being made accurately and Correctly?
  • Dorota_1680
    Dorota_1680 Registered Posts: 59
    Hi all! I just had my synoptic exam for a 3rd time and for the first time i had cost benefit analysis which i didn't come across in practice papers. Can you assist where to get some help on this question?
  • nicole1990
    nicole1990 Registered Posts: 11
    @Norvydas sorry to jump on this post. but could you send me some photos of questions from premier training if you do not mind?
    many thanks
    x
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I know I found some questions somewhere (though not in exam format) I think it was in the Management Accounting:Decisions and Controls it might be worth checking the equivelent kaplan books incase theres some hidden in there
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • Norvydas

@Norvydas sorry to jump on this post. but could you send me some photos of questions from premier training if you do not mind?
    many thanks
    x

I will try to find the books this weekend if I still have them!
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
Privacy Policy