Starting AAT level 2

Hi everyone! So firstly I’m 25, I’m looking at doing AAT level 2, self study. I have zero finance back ground. I basically have stayed home with children. After school I went on to college and did a foundation degree. Neither is anything to do with finance. My questions are, am i too old to start my career in finance? Will my age go against me. I have always been passionate about finance, I just feel I was never in a position until now to carry it forward. Also after level 2 would I be able to find a entry level job. I’m currently home with my 9 month old baby. The husband goes out to work and supports us, he’s very old fashioned. But I know I need more to my life I was never going to be a stay home mum. I have far too much drive. Any advice or anyone who was or is in a similar position to me, I would love to hear your story’s! Thank you

Comments

• Sarahg44
    Sarahg44 Registered Posts: 4
    You’re never too old. I’ve just finished level 3 and I’m 44 and now a licensed bookkeeper from home as I also have a young child.
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    @Misslisa252 - echoing what @Sarahg44 just said. :)

I started in accountancy at 32 with no previous experience or qualifications (my degree was in Maths, 11 years previously, and I'd had one job for 3 years that was so bad I walked out on it and spent 8 years unemployed!), got my level 2 and level 3 qualifications and found a private accountancy firm willing to hire someone with limited qualifications and no practical experience.

Nearly 4 years later, I'm still with that same accountancy firm, now as Accounts Executive, I'm MAAT and I've done half of my ACCA exams, with an expected completion date of Xmas 2021.

So please, never give up! The only time you fail is if you've given up!
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • PelikanUK
    PelikanUK Registered Posts: 12

@Misslisa252 - echoing what @Sarahg44 just said. :)

I started in accountancy at 32 with no previous experience or qualifications (my degree was in Maths, 11 years previously, and I'd had one job for 3 years that was so bad I walked out on it and spent 8 years unemployed!), got my level 2 and level 3 qualifications and found a private accountancy firm willing to hire someone with limited qualifications and no practical experience.

Nearly 4 years later, I'm still with that same accountancy firm, now as Accounts Executive, I'm MAAT and I've done half of my ACCA exams, with an expected completion date of Xmas 2021.

So please, never give up! The only time you fail is if you've given up!

Well done! I am 31 and just starting myself!
  • Jammydodger
    Jammydodger Registered Posts: 3
    I have just completed AAT Level 2 and have found the content really interesting. However, I also have no background in finance and at 30 years old, I worry about getting my first role in this sector.
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I got my first role at 28 having done my L2 and started my L3. I asked for work experience at a job interview as they said they felt I was overqualified but acknowledged I didn't have any experience in the sector. So they took me on for a week, then offered me temp and then full time at the end of the year. Don't be afraid to ask is the big one.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22