CBT 2 - so stuck on question 1!

Someone else has asked this exact question but there were no replies. I’m so stuck. We have a missing figure to find (cash purchases) so we are writing up the t account for the bank to find the missing figure. The balance brought down is £3283 credit side then I’ve put all the transactions in the right place. But the closing bank figure is £1568 Dr. So I’m putting it on the debit side but on the answer it’s on the credit side. My brain is fried with trying to work it out. Please can anyone help?

Comments

• Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    It can be useful to post the question. As people who aren't student members any more can't view the CBT's to help answer.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • Duchess1
    Duchess1 Registered Posts: 85
    As above...don't now if this helps but when you/re looking at the t account for the bank, it's the opposite way around..?
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    @AngelaM1973 - if the closing balance is on the debit side, then you need to first create a balancing entry on the credit side, so the two halves of the T-account balance at month end. Here's one below that I found through Google Imagesearch.

So here, if you're going through everything absolutely step-by-step, then at month-end you would balance off the two sides of the account; each side must have in this case $200k. Therefore, you need a balancing entry "Balance c/d $176,100Cr". Each side totals to $200k, and then the next month opens with "Balance b/d $176,100".

In your example from the CBT, the month-end procedure creates an entry "Bal c/d £1,568Cr", which levels off both sides of the T-account, and the next month opens with it as "Bal b/d £1,568Dr".

I hope this is reasonably clear and helpful? :)
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
Privacy Policy