Synoptic assessment - Exam in 3 Weeks

Hi all,

Well time has gone crazily fast as always, meaning my Synoptic exam is now only 3 weeks away! :s

Does anyone have any last minute tips for the final stages of revision so I can give myself the best chance possible to pass this exam?

Comments

• Emmalouise18
    Emmalouise18 Registered Posts: 237 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Fee2019 said:

Hi all,

Well time has gone crazily fast as always, meaning my Synoptic exam is now only 3 weeks away! :s

Does anyone have any last minute tips for the final stages of revision so I can give myself the best chance possible to pass this exam?

Hello,

Last minute tips..

Create flash cards on definitions/ pros/ cons/ ratios and revise these 3,4,5 times a day. Whenever you have a few minutes, look at these again and again.

Also, when revising and writing your answers, imagine Rubydale was your company, what would YOU do in the scenario, how would you explain this, what would you do in the future to prevent this etc.

Time yourself doing the mock exams to ensure you don't go over the recommended time per question and this will help you manage your time in the exam.

Ensure you thoroughly read the question properly as AAT can catch you out (especially on Q3 the weaknesses question and budgeting question)

Don't do the questions in order, as you will then leave the big Question 6 until last and may be short on time. Do the questions in the below order..

Q1
    Q3
    Q5
    Q6
    Q4 or Q2

This exam is very tough and does require a lot of revision. I revised 3/4 hours per night (5 nights a week) and then all day Saturday and all day Sunday (6hr per day) and passed with 78%. I am so glad I passed, but I didn't get 100% or anything. So you really have to work a-lot harder to gain each mark than in the rest of the exams. It's 100 marks whereas other exams are 120/150 marks so you can afford to loose some marks but still pass.

Always use the below theory when answering the written questions..

Use a definition - > Explain the definition -> make your point -> explain your point -> use examples -> Link your answer back to the question.

You have to treat the examiner like they know nothing. You have to assume you are showing them what the answer is. Never leave the examiner with any questions. If you read your answer back and it doesn't make sense/or you have questions then you haven't explained enough.

Any questions please let me know x
  • Fee2019
    Fee2019 Registered Posts: 25
    Thanks @Emmalouise18 , so helpful as usual!

With regards the definitions and pro's & con's, are these for all mandatory units (if so, which parts of each unit do you recommend focusing on?) and the internal control unit? I have all internal control definitions noted however, I sat the manatory units years ago now and have no notes on them.. so might be worth writing these out if thats what you mean.

Question 2 and 4 are my biggest enemies at the moment, just cant get to grips with them at all. So if you have any more tips different from the ones you sent on your kind messge before, that would be great! X
  • fedemenni
    fedemenni Registered Posts: 93
    edited February 2020
    I have my exam in 3 weeks as well - TERRIFIED! I still watching a recorded lectures from Kaplan and too much to remember to be honest! Last exam for me! So this would help me too!!
  • Fee2019
    @fedemenni its so scary isnt it - especially after reading how awful it is on this forum. Is this your first attempt at sitting the exam?

Are you revising just from the recorded lectures? I must admit, I didn't know that was a thing. Is that on the My Kaplan platform?
  • fedemenni
    fedemenni Registered Posts: 93
    Fee2019 said:

@fedemenni its so scary isnt it - especially after reading how awful it is on this forum. Is this your first attempt at sitting the exam?

Are you revising just from the recorded lectures? I must admit, I didn't know that was a thing. Is that on the My Kaplan platform?

First attempt, I had live online lectures so video recordings are available for you. Have you done classroom or selfstudy? It is very difficult. I had to sat my exams at least twice in order to pass them and I am pretty sure it will happen again with PDSY. Luckily if I feel I haven't passed it I will go directly into classroom straight after the exam (2 weeks later) and sit the exam again in May 2020. I have started Level 4 back in 2016 and 3.5 years later I still need to finish..

How far are you in the qualification?
  • Fee2019
    Well best of luck, hopefully this exam is different to all of the others and you get it passed on the first try =) at least you have the oppurtunity to sit again in May if things dont go as well as you would have like.

I have done self-study for the past 3 and a half years now (so same as you!), which is why it has taken me so long due to no support or guidance. I wish I had completed it all more quickly as its just dragging on so much!

Like you, this is my last exam so hoping I can get it done and dusted on the first try!
  • Emmalouise18
    Fee2019 said:

With regards the definitions and pro's & con's, are these for all mandatory units (if so, which parts of each unit do you recommend focusing on?) and the internal control unit? I have all internal control definitions noted however, I sat the manatory units years ago now and have no notes on them.. so might be worth writing these out if thats what you mean.

Question 2 and 4 are my biggest enemies at the moment, just cant get to grips with them at all. So if you have any more tips different from the ones you sent on your kind messge before, that would be great! X

Hello,

Sorry - I just realised I wasn't very clear haha

Pros and cons to each different type of budget / pros and cons for cost benefit analysis/ pros and cons to a standard costing system. If you get asked on how to improve a budget then always recommend a standard costing system. Explain what it is, why businesses use it, throw in some pros and cons etc.

Question 2 is budget isn't it? Question 4 is a decision and control question isn't it?

The budgeting question, I went back to budgeting mock exams and kept revising all written questions i could possibly find. I would say to read the question carefully. Only read part a) first and only answer part a first. Then move onto part b then c etc. Don't go reading all question 2 at once as you'll panic and perhaps stress yourself out. Always use definitions as examiners love this, link back your answer to the question and pre release as much a possible by mentioning staff names, positions etc. In my budgeting question it gave me the budget and then said the financial director prepared the budget.. I said this was biased as obviously the financial director would want the budget to work.. as this is his area.. he is no doubt on targets etc. It also said the financial director receives a profit related bonus if the budget succeeds. Which again, is very biased and could entitle the financial director bending the budget in order to work in his favour. It's just things like this you need to look for, and pick out of the information given.

Question 4 I believe is the decision and control question. I had a 'make or buy' question and it gave me costs to produce a product internally and then costs to produce a product externally. I showed all workings for material, labour, overheads etc internally then did the same for the costs externally. I then wrote that the product was intact cheaper to produce internally and then worked out the profit the company would make. It then asked me for other factors to consider when producing a product internally. I mentioned that machines could come to the end of their useful life and this would mean the director would have to purchase another machine at a high cost. I mentioned about labour workers being off sick etc, which would slow production down etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions :) x
  • jadeterry
    jadeterry Registered Posts: 26

Fee2019 said:

Hello,

Pros and cons to each different type of budget / pros and cons for cost benefit analysis/ pros and cons to a standard costing system. If you get asked on how to improve a budget then always recommend a standard costing system. Explain what it is, why businesses use it, throw in some pros and cons etc.

Question 2 is budget isn't it? Question 4 is a decision and control question isn't it?

The budgeting question, I went back to budgeting mock exams and kept revising all written questions i could possibly find. I would say to read the question carefully. Only read part a) first and only answer part a first. Then move onto part b then c etc. Don't go reading all question 2 at once as you'll panic and perhaps stress yourself out. Always use definitions as examiners love this, link back your answer to the question and pre release as much a possible by mentioning staff names, positions etc. In my budgeting question it gave me the budget and then said the financial director prepared the budget.. I said this was biased as obviously the financial director would want the budget to work.. as this is his area.. he is no doubt on targets etc. It also said the financial director receives a profit related bonus if the budget succeeds. Which again, is very biased and could entitle the financial director bending the budget in order to work in his favour. It's just things like this you need to look for, and pick out of the information given.

Question 4 I believe is the decision and control question. I had a 'make or buy' question and it gave me costs to produce a product internally and then costs to produce a product externally. I showed all workings for material, labour, overheads etc internally then did the same for the costs externally. I then wrote that the product was intact cheaper to produce internally and then worked out the profit the company would make. It then asked me for other factors to consider when producing a product internally. I mentioned that machines could come to the end of their useful life and this would mean the director would have to purchase another machine at a high cost. I mentioned about labour workers being off sick etc, which would slow production down etc.

This is so helpful!! Thank you.

What was your breakdown of how you did on each question? Curious to know as the question 4 sounds like one I practiced a couple of nights ago and I did it in the same way you described so just wondered if this enabled you to get a high score on that question? Was there any of the questions that you found more difficult than expected?

Thanks,
    Jade
  • Emmalouise18
    jadeterry said:

Fee2019 said:

Hello,

This is so helpful!! Thank you.

What was your breakdown of how you did on each question? Curious to know as the question 4 sounds like one I practiced a couple of nights ago and I did it in the same way you described so just wondered if this enabled you to get a high score on that question? Was there any of the questions that you found more difficult than expected?

Thanks,
    Jade

I have messaged you Jade, as you asked me a few other questions so I thought id put it all in 1 message :)x
Privacy Policy