Giving up

I'm really struggling with D&C and the Synoptic. It just feels like there is too much to learn and remember, and I've been on this level for about 2 years.

At this point should I give up...is it even worth it anymore?

Comments

• Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I'd say the only person who can fully evaluate that is yourself. Do you need this qualification is there something else you could do instead? etc I get the impression that a lot of people struggle with these modules so you're not the only one by a long way. I'm sure I've seen some people who have spent 3+ years on this level.

Both of these modules really ramp up the amount of written questions you have to perform. Should you decide to continue I'd focus on D&C until you've passed it before coming back to the synoptic.

For D&C although you get a lot of written questions compared to the other non-synoptic modules you also get tested on your mathmatics skills in particular the ability to rearrange and link different equations together to get to an answer if you struggle with this element it might be worth doing some courses or watching videos on rearranging equations (simultaneous equations would also be a good start.) This should help with the ratio and variance questions that are slightly harder.

For the synoptic a lot of it comes down to exam technique. The questions from what I've read always follow the same general format so you can practice each question separatly for the style.

Task 1 - Multiple choice question based around journals and error correction
    Task 2 - Long form written question based around budgets
    Task 3 - Find 5 weaknesses
    Task 4 - Long form written question based around D&C
    Task 5 - Numerical question based around ratios
    Task 6 - Long form written question based on either a SWOT or a cost benefit analysis

When I did my exam I did the tasks in the order 1,3,5,2,4,6. The reason for this is that the odd tasks are simpler to answer from what you've previously done where as 2,4+6 will require more thought, so this means you can get the easy marks done and not worry as much about time constraints.

For the written sections in both exams make sure you check what is requested. No point in explaining how to fix something if you're only asked to find it. Also check the marks available as that can indicate how much you need to find. e.g Task 3 - 5 weaknesses for 15 marks that's 3 marks per weakness 1 for finding and 2 for why.

For the long written sections I always liked to follow the pattern:
    1. What is the current model and assumptions made
    2. Why might this not be the best.
    3. What could be done instead (might be told what to use in question)
    4. Why is it better
    5. How does it change things
    6. Conclusion on changes/initial assumptions.

It might not be the best method to follow for all written questions but it should give a good base to write from also always state any assumptions you make and why even if they feel obvious to prove you know it.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • Vader
    Vader Registered Posts: 15
    @Pian32 Thanks very much for your in depth reply. I will come back to your post if I decide to continue.

Regarding the first point, I would probably start looking at new career options, as I've spent a long time studying this and still struggling.
Privacy Policy