Level 4 Synoptic- Ruby Dale

Options
Hi all,
I have my first attempt and my level 4 synoptic exam tomorrow, have been revising for a while now and have just had to resit my decision and control.

Can anyone got any tips for what questions might appear, have been over a few but I know AAT are known for giving you random ones in the exam.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• FinalSlog
    FinalSlog Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    I am also sitting my first and hopefully last Synoptic this week. I have just been doing a lot of mock tests.

Good luck!!
  • RachaelH1997
    RachaelH1997 Registered Posts: 5
    Options
    @FinalSlog Thank you. Good luck to you too!

How are you finding linking the reference material to the written questions?
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Rachael

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The exam always seems to have the same structue and when I sat it was advertised in the aat support section example as follows.

Task 1 - Multiple choice focus on errors and journals
    Task 2 - Extended writing focused around budgets
    Task 3 - Find 5 weaknesses
    Task 4 - Extended writing focused around Decision and Control
    Task 5 - Ratios
    Task 6 - SWOT or CBA

The structure might have changed since I sat it but I imagine the example papers will still give you a good idea of what wlil come up.

I hope you both foudn the exam okay
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • drobbo
    drobbo Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    @RachaelH1997

Hi. How did you find the exam. Is it tough as you thought it would be
  • student_n
    student_n Registered Posts: 3
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hi guys, has anyone got any tips for task 4? I sat this exam couple of times and this time two things really stood out. Task 2 is a Cash Budgeting question. However, Task 4... I do not have a clue how to calculate that! I am not sure if it has something to do with Outsourcing... I realise that we not suppose to disclose any exam material but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be really appreciated! :)
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I'm guessing with what you've said you had a relevant costs type question. Without having the question or a simlar practice one I'm afraid I can't really help you with it as I can only guess at the syllabus area you were looking at.

Relevant costing would be a question similar to below (completely invented form the top of my head so might not be realistic):

Tube ltd is considering manufactoring a new product X for a limited period. X would be made on a machine that Tube ltd no longer uses that was purchased originally for £50,000 and could be scrapped for an income of £2,000 if not used and £0 if used in making X. £3,000 has already been used in researching product X and it is estimated that the total contribution of X over it's lifecycle would be £2,500.

Costs:
    £50,000 original cost not relevant as would not have any impact on the decision
    £2,000 from scrap is relevant because it's an opportunity cost (if you don't sell it you effectively lose 2,000)
    £3,000 from research is not relevant because it has already been spent (sunk cost)

Revenue:
    £2,500 relevant as it won't happen if not produced. (Might be presented as seperate costs and sales)

For decision:
    2,500 - 2000 = 500 profit
    From a financial persepctive it is worth persuing product X.

AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • student_n
    Options
    Thank you very much! :) The question I got in exam was about the choice between making a new product in-house or in a new factory. There were 5 year lease costs, variable costs and two market costs. No sales figures or fixed costs. I will definitely revise relevant costing. I got really confused as I never seen anything similar before...
  • RachaelH1997
    Options
    @student_n

Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in reply. I ended up getting 65% so I have to resit in December.

Hopefully second time lucky.

Rachael
  • student_n
    Options
    Hi Rachael, good luck for your December exam! I got 60% ???? Might be resitting in December but not feeling great about this exam at all...
  • RachaelH1997
    Options
    @student_n thank you! It’s so annoying to miss out my a little.
    I think this time I will write notes and work our ratios before I start the exam as it tells you this information before you start the time :) good luck to you too
  • Marcus321
    Marcus321 Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    @RachaelH1997 @student_n

Don't give up! On my first attempt this time last year I got 65% - I was gutted.
    Thankfully, a good year later (in September) I sat the exam and found out I passed last week with 78% (on my second attempt).

Good luck in December, certainly worth aiming for December before the case study changes.

Best regards!

Privacy Policy