Synoptic coming up, no idea where to start, any advice please!

MOSB
MOSB Registered Posts: 20 New contributor 🐸
Hi,

During lockdown I've accelerated my AAT studies and completed Financial Statements and Decision & Control exams.
Already passed Budgeting but about 2 years ago so memory a little sketchy :/

I've booked my Synoptic for next February (covid permitting, my exam centre IS currently taking exams but that may change if things continue to escalate).

It gives me 1 month to study, probably not enough but I'd like to take the risk anyway and feel it'd be worth getting a feel for the exam.

I have to say I'm a bit confused about the whole Synoptic. There doesn't seem to be any material or practice exams on the AAT website (or at least I can't seem to find them!). I'm not sure I understand the format at all! Lots of talk on the forums about RUBY DALE whatever that is?!

Is everything in the 3 core modules covered? Or is it just certain modules you have to learn from each of them?

Basically any advice on the format or style or where i should even start for my revision would be appreciated.

The layout of the AAT resource pages seems to change all the time and I'm having trouble finding anything on the Synoptic (past papers, examiners reports, green lights).

A bit of a point in the right direction would be appreciated :)

Just this synoptic and 1 optimal unit and I've completed AAT . hooray!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I can't guide you through the resources anymore as it's changed completely since I went through. However the synoptic I can help you a little hopefully.

From the core units you mostly need to look over MABU and MDCL the FSLC is in there but mostly just the ratios.

Ruby Dale ltd was the pre release information on which the questions were based I believe this has now changed to something else and you would need to find this in the aat resources. It will have details of a company and may include budgets or financial statements as well as the setting the company is running in. For Example Ruby Dale was a growing company that was having a lot of sucess selling designer goods.

I would look over this information alongside your revision and study of the synoptic unit Accounting Systems and Controls.

Assuming things haven't changed the practice papers and information gave a really good idea of the format for each question you will face I will split these into short and long:

Short

Task 1
    Multiple choice questions generally covering errors and journals but can be from any area in accounting

Task 3
    Find 5 weaknesses. From the practice papers you get a passage of text outlining a control in the company and need to identify and explain 5 potential weaknesses.

Task 5
    Ratios, You'll likely have to calculate ratios and possibly comment of what they mean.

Long
    Task 2
    Written question based around budgets. Use the time you have to identify what budgets would best suit the business you have. (MABU)

Task 4
    Written question based on MDCL. You'll have to make and justify a decision.

Task 6
    When I took this there was information that stated it would be a SWOT or a CBA from reading other comments however it sounds like this has changed.

As stated this is all based on the practice papers and information that was available when I took the exam in Sep 19.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • MOSB
    Hi,

Thanks very much for a comprehensive reply.

Where exactly can I find the practice papers for the Synoptic? Seems to be absolutely nothing on the AAT website?
  • MOSB
    Ok, I've found the Synoptic section on the AAT website. That's a start!
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I'm afraid I only know of the ones that were on the AAT site. Make sure you can find the one where they walk through the model answers as well. I used that plus the answers form the practices to get the best idea of what they want in terms of formatting for the written questions.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • Lewisham_lass
    Lewisham_lass Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    edited January 2021
    Yes, Veggie Delights Ltd is the new material from Feb 2021. I believe it is important to familiarize yourself with Veggie delights, but you do not need to remember it as the exam lets you view the material again. I am studying for this one now, and a lot of the material seems to be focused on the strengths/weaknesses of veggie delights' business plan for the year ahead. Also important to re-study MADC and MABU but as others have said FSLC too although to a lesser extent. Good luck!
  • MOSB
    Thanks guys. :)

Lewisham_lass - where can I find the material for Veggie delights please?

Is this your 1st attempt at the synoptic too?
  • Lewisham_lass
    edited January 2021
    Basically they have the pre-release material stored on their website under mock exams.

So you load up the AAT dashboard page when you first login:

Then go to the lifelong learning portal:

Then it appears within the mock exam section..

It's my first time taking the synoptic too , we should be okay just need to do lots and lots of practice!

A bit nervous as the material is completely new, so very few resources on it at the moment.

Fingers crossed we will be fine! :)
  • MOSB
    Thanks very much! fingers crossed!
  • Lewisham_lass
    That's ok, my textbook arrived the other day, Kaplan have a new one with the 2021 material (assume the others do too!). It has analysis of Veggie Delights which I found really useful. :) yes fingers crossed for all of us, this has been a difficult year to complete the final AAT Level!
  • MOSB
    oh cheers. might order that.

The virus has actually given me a kick up the arse to go do the AAT! nothing else to do in spare time! may as well crack on with it.
Privacy Policy