Any stories or advice from more mature members who managed to get into accounting in later life?

Options
tomgovier
tomgovier Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
Hello everyone

A little about me, I have done mostly laboratory work throughout my life and fast approaching middle age decided I wanted to go into accounting and gain some professional qualifications. I gained my AAT level 2 last month but I must admit I have been disappointed with the response from employers when applying for jobs so far.

I am mostly applying for junior/starter positions or jobs where experience is preferred but not essential but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. For the vast majority of my applications I either get no response back or a generic email stating my application has been unsuccessful.

I was really keen to start AAT level 3 but now am a bit disheartened and reluctant to spend another £1,000 it's going to cost me to get it. Or being a more mature student do I have to accept that it's going to take me getting level 3 or 4 AAT before potential employers become interested?

If anyone has any stories of how long it took to get your first job in finance or any tips/advice I'd like to hear it..... :)

Many thanks,

Comments

• uis143
    uis143 Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hey Tom, I made the change and did my AAT well into my thirties. It took me six months and over 200 applications for entry level accounting roles before I got my first break. It was really disheartening at times but just keep at it. That was nearly 10 years ago now and I am just finishing setting up my own firm.
  • tomgovier
    tomgovier Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    uis143 said:

Hey Tom, I made the change and did my AAT well into my thirties. It took me six months and over 200 applications for entry level accounting roles before I got my first break. It was really disheartening at times but just keep at it. That was nearly 10 years ago now and I am just finishing setting up my own firm.

Thanks for sharing that, been feeling down about it and wondering if it's me that's the problem! I'll just keep on going then and hopefully someone will give me a break sooner or later.
  • wilburnet
    wilburnet Registered Posts: 78 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Don't feel bad Tom. I'm wondering have you registered with recruitment agencies?
Privacy Policy