Next steps from level 3

Options
DannyCole5508
DannyCole5508 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
Hi all!

I've been wondering where to go once I've completed my level 3, and considering which path might be best:
ACCA is a global recognised body, and there is a huge amount of free and paid material out there to help with revision and exams, and the fees are quite reasonable, as all students pay the same subscription fee, regardless of academic level. There is no requirement to be employed by an approved employer, nor do you have to study with an approved learning provider, if you wish to self-study and save some money.
ICAEW's ACA qualification, though, is considered the Gold Standard of accounting, earning the prestigious title of "Chartered Accountant", and opposed to ACCA's "Certified Accountant". However, you must be employed by an approved employer to complete the qualification, however, this also helps to gain the 3 years work experience that both qualifications (ultimately) require.

No matter which way I look at it, though, it looks like I'll be going on to AAT level 4 first - both ACCA and ICAEW offer exemptions for some of the first exams, and being able to study under the same tutors I've had for the last 2 years will also be less of a pressure.
Whilst I initially thought that AAT was a more expensive option - the registration for level 4 alone is £225, plus tuition, textbooks, stationery & travel, there are some benefits; When you complete the level 3, you can then apply for the AATQB membership, which comes with the added benefit that if you then go on to apply for the level 4, you receive a discount on the price of the level 4 registration equivalent to the cost of the AATQB - Essentially, you're getting 1 year's free membership with professional letters after your name, but if you decide to study through a college, you have the option of funding the cost of the course through a student loan, helping to spread the cost.
Whilst there are online providers offering some payment plans for the ACCA qualification, it is entirely self-funded, as no (means-tested) student loans are available for further, accredited learning - Which is why accountants charge so much!

What are everyone else's views on the subjects?

Comments

• anony123
    anony123 Registered Posts: 423 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    You need to be very careful, AAT level 4 is the first year of uni and is very tough and a huge step up from level 3 with business tax, statements for companies eg.
    But ACCA if you do these in particularly with business tax and tax you will be exempt from the first year and then you will only have 2 years left although there will still be 6 exams if I remember correctly.
    So you have to weigh this up, with the amount of time you have free to revise, work and social time and relaxation. (So many equations on level 4 ass well ffs!)
  • DannyCole5508
    DannyCole5508 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Thanks @anony123
    I think our 'voluntary' modules will be decided by the college... helpfully. But, I'm expecting a big jump up from 3-4. There was a lot of surprise in the class between 2-3, but I was expecting the greater challenge.
    I've studied at university level before, and whilst I didn't actually finish my degree, I'm confident that being single and antisocial offers me plenty of revision time :p
    Luckily, my local college offers both a daytime option, to be completed in 9 months, or an evening option, completed in 18 months. So either way, I'll have plenty of time and support to get through the course :)
    Thanks for your support buddy :+1:
Privacy Policy