What are the chances of me getting a job in accountancy field when I don't have no experience?

Waqas
Waqas Registered Posts: 2
I've started studying AAT this year and have got no previous experience of working in accounting field. What are the chances that i'll get a good job after completing AAT?

Comments

• nongmatt
    nongmatt Registered Posts: 4
    what's the difference between practice and industry route?
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    For me this is the difference:

Practice - this is all about the reporting, stat accounts etc

Industry - this is about the who's, the what's and the wherefore's

I've done both, I started in practice and then spent the next 20 years in industry. I'm now in the process of setting up my own practice. Practice is about the preparation of accounts where as industry is about how those accounts are made up. This has taken me from job costing to treasury accounts but most off all management accounts, as a management accountant you have to be able to analyse the business and the systems used within that business.

If your starting out I would recommend you start in practice and get a broad knowledge of both accounts and tax work before considering industry.

I know this is hard when your starting out but you need to pick the right company to work for and see what they are going to offer you as a training package and exposure.
  • Neillaw
    Ghanbari - We've all had this happen to us at one point or another, if you don't get the job forget about it. There may be a number of reasons for not getting the job especially with an internal transfer.
    I was invited to an interview by a company and then was rejected due to not having a high enough qualification (the FD was unqualified), I was also invited to an interview in practice only to be told I didn't have enough practice experience.
    These things happen in the job market so just let it go as it's nothing personal.
  • Ghanbari
    Ghanbari Registered Posts: 11
    dear Neillaw,
    i applied for many jobs which i knew %100 i will not get them because i did not any experience but i give it a go.
    the AAT internal job i had applied for it was exactly what matched with my situation. internal, inexperience, study AAT and wants to continue level 4. the company always proud to provide training for staff.
    i discussed it with HR manager and they provided for my training on another machine in the company also the HR promised me to investigate the AAT position to see what happened. well, no response in last two months. at least they realised i told them that favourite people all always the winner.
    Neillaw, thank you for your response and this is a just discussion. do not take it personally, please but i gave up much time but i cannot accept this anymore as it will waste my time and effect my time if i let it go.
  • Neillaw
    I appreciate your stance on this position but do you have a plan?
    My first point of call would be the HR manager to ask for a meeting where you can put your case forward, I wouldn't be good to say that favourite people always win as this would put you to the back of the pile as against the front. You need to go in with a bullet point plan and your expectations for the next few years with the company. Perhaps you need to do a swot analysis of your current position and future requirements, use this when you get a meeting with the HR manager to show you've thought about your position and have a plan in mind. (HR like this sort of thing).
    You have to make sure that HR buy into your idea's as they have a serious amount of clout which is better on your side than against you.
    Concentrate on your requirements
    I don't take it personally as I don't know the whole story but I would wish you all the best in your career.
  • Ghanbari
    yes, i am on the plan and with it, i pushed them to put me on the training which i did not like to do because it looks like i need a nanny if you know what i mean.
    i had three times meeting with my manager (the process manager) and HR manager, finally, they close the case by saying i am not allowed to apply on the complaint anymore.
    i did this because they lie. now i a have been trained for a machine and according to my last FRIENDLY (my manager called it so) meeting, he is going to train me on more machine to cover all these four years i have been left behind (as he said so) besides my wages will go up after Christmas holiday.
    so as you see, i was right about the company and as i said to them in meeting i do not know why i should do this way to get what i deserve to have.
    by the way, the previous HR in 2010 told me, i am old to go to university so they did not give me day release, therefore, i started to study with AAT as i could do it at home after work.
    all i am saying is managers, top peoples in companies need slaves to be king.
  • Neillaw
    Sorry to hear this.
    My last question would be why are you still there?
    First thing I'd do after the Christmas break would be to contact some recruitment agencies and see what they have to offer. This would be slow moving in the first couple of weeks but exam results are available at the end of the month and things start to get going.
    My mates just finished uni and he's in his 40's so your just being fobbed off.

Good luck but you may have to be prepared to job hop at the lower end of the market.
  • Ghanbari
    this is I always thought but if i leave the job i have to start from zero, even the same job. the managers know this so they pushing or better to say leave employees on the same job. in fact, they use the person.
    besides, i cannot afford to start again otherwise, i was going to do the accountancy job voluntarily.
    thanks for your wishes,
Privacy Policy