How do you ask for a raise in salary?

Options
A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
The situation at the moment for me is i have worked for a chartered accountants now for 4 years as a practise administrator/ manager, i love my job i love the work and the location for me is ten mins travel to work so that is ideal.

One problem i have is my current salary, the fact that i have government top up with beneifits and that another person in college with less responsibility and 15 years younger than me is on the same wage makes me wonder is it time to test the water for a pay raise?

Am studying intermidiate at college and yes this was funded by my boss but just the tutiation fee's so i had to pay everything else myself, thanks to yet another state hand out i managed to claim some of that back also, i am a little bitter about that as mybe it should have been used for someone not working.

so my question is how do i address this with my boss? what agruments could i use? what did any of you do? i dont want to come across as aggressive, i dont think pushy will work, but the fact is if i carry on, on the wage i am on i will have to search for another job.

Any advise or stories of people in the same stiuation and what they did would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Vic

Comments

• A-Vic
    Options
    Id also like to add the fact that we hired a an office junior 3 months ago who untill i tought her didnt know how to even switch on a computer when she started and due to advise about her wage slip i relised is only on 50 pence an hour less than me.
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi A-Vic,

You just have to go for it, and sell yourself.

Sometimes people that you work for will not give employers a rise unless they ask for one, no one in business, especially small business's(and I dont know how big the one you work for is) will increase their out goings unless they have to.

The fact that you are now studying is an ideal sitiuation to go and come to some agreement with them, as to each level you take and the more experience you get, you could negatiate a payrise.

I would pick your moment though, when things are looking good in the company and your boss seems in a good mood, I don't think I would mention the fact that these others are on the salaries they recieve.

It is about you and what you think you are worth to the company.

Good Luck
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Thanks Dianne

i just lack courage as i hate asking for anything i know am entilited and its my right to ask but didnt want to rock the boat - dont get me wrong am no push over either. And its bringing the subect up and timing also
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I understand where you are comming from, but at the end of the day we all need a decent wage to live. I do believe what will happen will happen for a reason, and I am sure your time will come, atleast you are increasing your chances by taking the AAT.

Good luck
  • atlan
    atlan Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi A-Vic

I was in a similar position to you a several years ago. I took a job in practice after passed my intermediate level and I passed the technician level whilst I was with them, which they had paid for.

I found myself in the position where it was costing me more money than they paid me in order to work there (travel, rent, practically no social life!!, etc). On top of this they took on a new person, a lot younger than me and less experience at that time and I found out she had started on more money than I was on at that time!!

But you must ignore what other people are earning - as people shouldn't really discuss this. And what is important is not how you compare to your colleagues but your worth to the company you work for, ie will you bring enough value to their business with your skills to warrant them paying you the extra money you want them to?

If you approach a payrise from the angle of what other people in your company are earning, then most companies will probably be reject your request out of hand!!

In my case, I thought about all the things I brought to the business - things I helped with internally like software use training to fellow staff - and client faced expamples such as those client who specifically asked for me and ways I had created additional benefit/revenue to my practice (ie new clients coming on board through referals from my clients).

I was then able to go to my managing partner and put forward a case.

I was very lucky and my firm were able to increase my salary but had they not been able to, I was truly in a position where I would have to had moved jobs and I was prepared to do this.

So you have to remember that things can go either way and it may be that your firm are unable to pay any more, in which case are you prepared to find a new job and leave?

Whatever you do has to be right for you, so make sure that it is your own personal choice which you have thought through and are happy with, even if the outcome is worst case scenario!

I truly wish you luck - it sounds like, apart from money, you are happy where you are.

Will you let us know what you decide and how it works out?
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Hi Atlan

It seems you understood totally the angle where am comming from and the postion i find myself in.

Today i took the bullet by the horns and discussed my situation with my manager as i heard there will be a postion opening up as a bookepper, so i asked straight out would i be able to apply for this, to the horror of my manager - i explaned to her that its not that i dont like my current job its just that i would love the challenge and the money increase would be much appreciated.

she was really good about it and we discussed this at length, however she went away and thought about it and came back to me with maybe id like to start completing accounts (which i would love) but, the other job will be now open to other applicants and nothing said about a pay raise.

I know january is when we would normally receive our annual pay increases so ive deceided to wait and see if my pay will reflect the new responsilbilty i now face, that at least gives me christmas to deceide what to do after then.
  • atlan
    atlan Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi A-Vic

Well done- it takes amazing courage to stand up and put your point accross :thumbup:

You know the company you work for best and what you really need from your job financially and in terms of personal growth.

I do find it interesting that they think enough of you to increase your responsibilities and experience but do not think that the more complex work is worth any more financial remuneration!! So haven't they just got a higher level of work out of you for no more money?!! :confused1:

You do need to have made a decision about what you are going to do in your own mind in case things do not go the way you want them to. I personally think with the current economic climate, annual payrises will be very small if at all!! Its just such a difficult time for everyone at the moment.
Privacy Policy