Where can i start?

Options
sparky2122
sparky2122 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
I am thinking of starting AAT next year and I have a grade B in A level Accounts. Will I still have to start at foundation or are there exemptions available? any help much appreciated

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    You don't have to start at foundation if you don't want to, to be AAT qualified you only have to do Intermediate and Technician. I did foundation with no previous accountancy knowledge and tbh I found it a waste of time as it is all covered again at intermediate anyway.

Fairly recently it was introduced by the AAT that you can do a 'skills check' at your college and if you demonstrate reasonable skill and knowledge you can even skip intermediate or parts of intermediate but personally I wouldn't recommend this unless you have a wealth of practical experience.
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    You don't have to start at foundation if you don't want to, to be AAT qualified you only have to do Intermediate and Technician. I did foundation with no previous accountancy knowledge and tbh I found it a waste of time as it is all covered again at intermediate anyway.

Fairly recently it was introduced by the AAT that you can do a 'skills check' at your college and if you demonstrate reasonable skill and knowledge you can even skip intermediate or parts of intermediate but personally I wouldn't recommend this unless you have a wealth of practical experience.

i started at intermediat and had a D in a level accounts. it doesn't matter.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I think you'll be fine about starting at intermediate. You just have to check your course provider agrees, I think.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I had A level accounts from 20 years previously, sat a test & started on intermediate.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Foundation is really for people with no prior accounting knowledge whatsoever and it'd be rather a waste of a whole college year if you'd be studying via that route but have already acquired some theory.

Intermediate won't teach you double entry though as it naturally assumes you are already fluent, so you'd better be competent at this before starting.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I did a skills check on the AAT website and it told me I could start at Intermediate.

That was a couple of years ago, I'll see if I can find it on the new website.

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Found it:

http://www.aatskillcheck.org/

Give it a go and see how you do. You will need to log on to be able to complete the skill check.

A x
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
Privacy Policy