What is the best way to sell my 10 year old Sony camcorder?

Options
geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Folks

I bought a brand new Sony camcorder about 10 years ago. I am now thinking of selling it and buying a more modern small compatible camcorder.

Can you suggest what websites I could use in order to sell it? Do you think I could part exchange it when buying a new one from one of the major retailers such as Curry or Dixons?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hello Manjinder

Have you thought about selling it on EBay or going to your local cash converters store?

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • geek84
    geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi Jo

Thanks for your suggestions.
  • johnnyboy987
    johnnyboy987 Registered Posts: 36 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Kind of off-subject but was a bit concerned as the whole title of the thread didn't show and came up as "What is the best way to sell my 10 year old"! After the "50 Shades" thread, I was wondering in what direction this forum was going!!
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    'bit concerned', more excited i think :lol:
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Kind of off-subject but was a bit concerned as the whole title of the thread didn't show and came up as "What is the best way to sell my 10 year old"! /QUOTE]

That's what I saw too :lol:
  • GemmaS
    GemmaS Registered Posts: 178 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: Β»
    That's what I saw too :lol:

Same here! This was after a nightmare morning trying to get my, nearly 10yr old, son up and ready so he could go out on his sailing course in time for me to get to work!

Took the words right out of my mouth! ;)

Gemma

(ps before everyone goes up in arms its fine I wouldn't really sell him.... I did try once before but apparently Ebay does not allow the sale of livestock on its website ;) lol)

:P
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    GemmaS wrote: Β»
    Same here! This was after a nightmare morning trying to get my, nearly 10yr old, son up and ready so he could go out on his sailing course in time for me to get to work!

oops i was only joking about getting excited, hope you don't get offended Johnny. The title i see is, what is
    the best way to sell.
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • johnnyboy987
    johnnyboy987 Registered Posts: 36 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    HA! No offence taken, I just couldn't think of a witty reply lol! It gave me a laugh on a Monday morning lol :)
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    geek84 wrote: Β»
    Do you think I could part exchange it when buying a new one from one of the major retailers such as Curry or Dixons?

Currys or Dixons don't generally part exchange electricals (or most other items for that matter).

Is it an old 8mm tape camcorder? If so - and don't be offended - but this is old technology that was replaced long ago by digital formats. Just like vinyl, old tech like this is now largely in the realms of the nostalgic/niche collectors. As such, you might get a small something for it on eBay - maybe Β£50 or so if it's all complete with accessories, holdall and charger and in mint condition - but you're unlikely to sell it for anything decent on the high street, if at all.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Currys or Dixons don't generally part exchange electricals (or most other items for that matter).

Is it an old 8mm tape camcorder? If so - and don't be offended - but this is old technology that was replaced long ago by digital formats. Just like vinyl, old tech like this is now largely in the realms of the nostalgic/niche collectors. As such, you might get a small something for it on eBay - maybe Β£50 or so if it's all complete with accessories, holdall and charger and in mint condition - but you're unlikely to sell it for anything decent on the high street, if at all.

It is old technology. You might get lucky if someone needs it to get video from some old tapes they have.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    PGM wrote: Β»
    It is old technology. You might get lucky if someone needs it to get video from some old tapes they have.

Hence why I've still got my old Canon camcorder from the mid '90's but will probably never get round to transferring the clips of my kids when they were young! For all I know, the tapes might not even be any good now...
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Hence why I've still got my old Canon camcorder from the mid '90's but will probably never get round to transferring the clips of my kids when they were young! For all I know, the tapes might not even be any good now...

My parents just got some Cine film from the late 1970s / early 1980s put onto DVD and it was really good.
Privacy Policy