Tutoring

Options
I have been approached and asked if i would be interested in tutoring aat at a college. I dont want to leave practise though..........but it does interest me, maybe try to mix the two.
Could i ask what do you guys and gals think...............be good to hear some opinions.

Comments

• SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    There is a shortage of accountancy tutors.
    I recommend having a go, but caution you to retain control whenever you discuss commitments in terms of your time.
    I would negotiate exactly when you would be expected to be at the college (in my opinion, being paid by the hour is better than being on a fractional yearly contract from the point of view of clarity) add to that the expectations in terms of out of class work such as preparation and marking.
    I've been an accountancy tutor for many years. I had to agree how the time it takes to mark spreadsheet exams on level 3 is built into my workload. If you don't do such things they become something you are assumed to do when you are not in college and they eat into your time for other things.
    Also look at your own working year, and make sure your own work and your tutoring don't peak together. If you are busy in January with tax returns, and you have an hourly paid contract you can say that you can only do x hours at that time etc.
    Best wishes. It is not fantastically well paid, but it is very satisfying to see students develop and flourish.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    Out of interest is there any specific college in Birmingham that has approached you?
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • villapb
    villapb Registered Posts: 357
    Options
    Love to tell you but then i would have to kill you ..............lol
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    loooool going to get emile heskey to hunt me down he is a free agent
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • villapb
    Options
    Sandy you may agree.
    I think too many aat course providers dont prepare students for the harsh reality of finding a job. I think i could give guidance on when and what to do while they study at the lower levels, too many wait to finish level and then think about a job with no experience and then reality hits like a train, im afraid. Also some tutors dont give real life examples and are just concerned about getting them through exams, which is ok but the students lose out long term.
  • ademoore
    ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I think it's a fab opportunity to be given the chance to tutor - I used to tutor for CIMA exams privately, but we ran the courses with 24/7 support (we had students all around the world) and the hours nearly killed me with running my own practice alongside it. I'm easing back into it slowly once again, with just concentrating on some mock marking for now, however I really do miss that interaction with students and really trying to make a difference to their results. Good luck, enjoy it as it can be extremely rewarding! :cool2:
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I am an AAT tutor - starting in September - teaching Level 2. (I am already a Maths tutor in adult education). It is hard work, but great!
  • villapb
    Options
    Cheers, sandy, ademoore, t.c...........i think they will want me fulltime...............but i can only be part time as i dont want to leave practise. I will let you know how i get on..thanks again.
Privacy Policy