Tips for New Starters from Members!

SashaDella
SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
I just wanted to know if anyone who is level 4 above had any tips and advice for the new starters and lower level qualified students!

What should I be doing now etc? (work experience, cpd events?)

Studying / exam tips

Extra courses that may be helpful (excel etc)

any advice you think maybe helpful!

Thanks! :D

Comments

• anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi SashaDella

Good question.

The first place I would go is the AAT website, log in and start recording your work-experience towards your full membership.

Only work experience accumulated since you became a student member counts. I seem to recall that you need one full year of accounting work experience, so if you only work part time or if only a small percentage of your job is accounting then it can take you more than a year to achieve the work experience you need.

You also need referees to validate your experience, which is the other reason for keeping it up to date as you go along. Ask your potential referees if they will agree to validating your experience before you provide their name and email address to AAT for verification. Do keep on top of it, as you don't always know when you'll be changing job and once you have left somewhere you can feel awkward to go back and ask for a referee!

Good luck

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • zippi
    zippi Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I am also in level 2 and going onto my 3rd one. However, there are live webinars taking place currently on AAT, which also counts towards your CPD, if you take part in it. There is one for tomorrow and I have registered to take part in it. I have attached the web address, if you want to join in. This one is general excel queries. You will need to register first and they will send you the details on your email. You can then ask question related to excel.

http://www.aat.org.uk/news/branch-webinars

Good luck!:thumbup1:
  • DAVID LAWES
    DAVID LAWES Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    I'd get yourself subscribed to the websites of STUDENT ACCOUNTANT and ACCOUNTANCYSTUDENTS. Steve Collings in particular writes excellent technical articles for the latter on topics examinable at Levels 3 and 4. Also watch YouTube videos on examinable topics. There's a good one on activity based costing. All these are a major source of my CPD.
  • SashaDella
    anniem wrote: »

The first place I would go is the AAT website, log in and start recording your work-experience towards your full membership.

I have 6 months work experience can I submit this now? Or do I have to wait till its 12 months?
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    SashaDella wrote: »
    I have 6 months work experience can I submit this now? Or do I have to wait till its 12 months?

Yes, submit it now, go for it girl!!! :thumbup:
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • SashaDella
    Just submitted 25 weeks worth! Thanks :)
  • Pearce161
    Pearce161 Registered Posts: 57 Epic contributor 🐘
    Good tip thanks! I passed lvl 2 in July and I've been working since January, voluntary till May and paid since as a finance assistant at a local charity. Will the voluntary time count or just the paid work?
  • SashaDella
    I'd get yourself subscribed to the websites of STUDENT ACCOUNTANT and ACCOUNTANCY STUDENTS.

Is this a particular site? because I couldnt find it? Any chance of a link? Thanks
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Pearce161 wrote: »
    Good tip thanks! I passed lvl 2 in July and I've been working since January, voluntary till May and paid since as a finance assistant at a local charity. Will the voluntary time count or just the paid work?

Hi Pearce,
    Voluntary work counts if it is relevant - ie in an accounting function. I was treasurer for my local school 's PTA (only a few hours a week), I submitted it on AAT and got a few weeks experience out of it. Definitely worth it!
    MN
Privacy Policy