ICAS Preparation

billdoor
billdoor Registered Posts: 129 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Hi all

I'm enrolled for ICAS starting in a couple of weeks and already have the book and online lectures etc.

I'd like to do something until it starts though, I know that I'll be doing the case study but don't have that yet, can anyone offer suggestions on the kind of preparation I could do in the meantime, that would be of benefit when the course starts?

Many thanks

Billdoor

Comments

• Spamkebab
    Spamkebab Registered Posts: 233 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Billdoor

How good are you with Word? My biggest obstacle was getting to grips with formatting and setting up things like a contents page in Word rather than the project itself.
    It may be a good idea to freshen up your skills dependant on how confident and capable you are.

Neil.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Great idea Neil. If you are doing ICAS with BPP one of the lectures talks you through report layout/format and using Word.... Very useful indeed :001_smile:
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Spamkebab
    Hi Jo :thumbup1:
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello Neil :001_tongue:
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Why not take a look at the ICAS practice assessment for an idea of what you need to analyse. Bayou Stores is a very good (and reasonably straight forward) case study which highlights some very obvious flaws in an accounting system. Remember, you've been studying for a couple of years so you already know what makes a good accounting system, how an accounting system should work and what sort of things one needs from an accounting system. This is the unit that pulls together all other units from your studies on AAT and, therefore, actually involves the most work and you need to use all the tools at your disposal to succeed - especially time management - 4 months goes by very quickly when you procrastinate.
  • Spamkebab
    Time management, in my case, was me more or less ordering everybody out of the house on Sunday afternoons lol.
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    Just uploaded my 3rd draft. My second draft was competent in 17/27 areas, so i am getting there slowly.
    Hopefully, alot closer after the 3rd draft.
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Just uploaded my 3rd draft. My second draft was competent in 17/27 areas, so i am getting there slowly.
    Hopefully, alot closer after the 3rd draft.

Let's hope you don't end up in my situation - my second draft came back with more NYC areas than my first - despite the fact I was only asked to change one section and that was all I changed!
  • omega man
    It does make you wonder if the tutors are lenghthening the time on purpose. I wonder if BPP and Kaplan get a more money if they take longer?
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    I got so fed up I resubmitted NYC areas with absolutely no changes and they miraculously came back as competent. But I'd already queried if my tutor had actually read my drafts as the feedback seemed very generic (spelling etc when I knew every word was spelt correctly, or asking me to move paragraph 7.1 to the appendix (section 7 was the appendix!).
  • Malcolm Green
    Malcolm Green Registered Posts: 105 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    ICAS - Getting ready

As part of your initial research for the ICAS project you should find the following AAT website links useful and well worth a look at to help get you going and give you an idea of what you will need to do cover for your final report mapping which is the what the project is really all about:

https://services.aat.org.uk/myaat/pa_lsb/
    https://services.aat.org.uk/elearn/
    https://services.aat.org.uk/myaat/guidance_standards/
    https://services.aat.org.uk/myaat/qualification

We have also covered this in a session at one of our revision workshops and included an example of a typical report layout to get you started.

I have set out below a link for this for you.

http://aatbirmingham.org.uk/2012/fre...html#more-1224

Also you may like to have a look over all the past postings about ICAS on the forum as this topic has been covered a number of times already.

I trust this information will be of assistance and all the best with your own ICAS project.
  • billdoor
    Thanks to all, sorry for taking so long to respond. Replies are much appreciated and will no doubt come in very useful.

I've just downloaded my case study so can get on with it now.:thumbup:
  • billdoor
    Hi all

I want to cover Accounts Receivable in my ICAS project. I also want to cover cash sales.

Can I just put both of these under the banner of Sales Ledger or do I need to have them as two separate areas?

I'm beginning to see why people say that ICAS makes their common sense disappear.:001_smile:
  • omega man
    I did sales ledger on my ICAS project and yes i did cash sales as well as credit sales.
Privacy Policy