Motor Expenses

spurschic1@yahoo.com
spurschic1@yahoo.com Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi All,

I have a client that is employed full time but also runs her own business. She uses her own car to travel for her own business. Where do I start with motor expenses/fuel etc. I have looked through the HMRC notes but it all gets pretty confusing.

She has paid for some fuel costs through the business but some through personal cash.

She has also give me an invoice for an MOT and car tax that they have personally paid for.

She estimates an average of 100 miles per week for the business use.

Hope someone can help as I feel I'm going round in circles!

Thanks
Vicky :001_smile:

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Just claim mileage for business use - that's the easiest way - 45p per mile of business use.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    T.C. wrote: »
    Just claim mileage for business use - that's the easiest way - 45p per mile of business use.

Really? Keeping a log of mileage for many clients is a lot of hassle.

An alternative would be to add up all the motor expenses and disallow a proportion (the proportion would be based on how much relates to personal use).
  • villapb
    villapb Registered Posts: 357
    Reader ive sat with hmrc a few times and mileage allowance was used and they only aksed once about a log, it was for a chemist locum working for boots and i showed the inspector a few examples on aa route finder and inspector was no problem. I find mileage log is a hassle for clients but isnt everything a hassle for clients, just like receipts for motor expenses etc...
  • spurschic1@yahoo.com
    spurschic1@yahoo.com Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks for your help guys. Can they reclaim an allowance of 45p as well as the motor expenses paid by the company?

Vicky
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    No, its the 45p only.
Privacy Policy