Old syllabus Level 3 students

Options
Vlee
Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Hello

Now I've (provisionally) passed two modules I feel like a proper AAT student and a bit more motivated to continue. As the new syllabus is just over a month away I thought I'd ask who else is still on the old syllabus. How far along are you, what's left, how you are studying and when are you planning to finish? Cash management is being dropped and PEAF is changing to a computer based project, so it's helpful to know who is around to support each other on these modules.

So I have ITX, AP1, AP2, CMGT and CRS left, probably in that order. I'm self studying with a mix of books, mostly Kaplan but some BPP. I'm aiming to finish around Christmas, preferably before but exam availability is slowing me down. Fingers crossed I will get ITX done before September.

Comments

• Kris1990
    Kris1990 Registered Posts: 52 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hi Vlee

AP 1 & 2, CMGT and CRS are bigger modules than PEAF, SDST and ITX, just bare that in mind when your planning when you'll finish level 3. I doubt there will be many changes to the AP 1, 2 and CMGT syllabus', so there should be plenty of people here willing to help :001_smile:

Good luck with the rest of level 3.
  • wabisabi
    wabisabi Registered Posts: 130 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hi Vlee

I'm self-studying for L3 too. I assume that by simply passing one exam at L3 (PEAF in my case) I can just continue on the old syllabus.

I'm still trying to decide which exam to do next. Probably AP1 and spreadsheets before Christmas, followed by AP2 in the new year - I'm not in a rush and my deadline to finish L3 is next summer. I'm really enjoying it and I'm just taking my time, fitting it in around full-time work. The hard part is going to be getting practical experience.

I'm using the Osborne books as I used them for L2 and I like their approach - they are currently piled up on my dining room table and looking at me enticingly :)

No doubt hear from you on the forum. I'm happy to offer mutual support if I can.
  • Vlee
    Options
    Kris, yes I know and the reason I am doing those after September is because I will have more childcare and can have time to actually concentrate. I've just had evenings and one Saturday I spent three hours in the library so far. I should have an extra two hours most weekday afternoons, so four weeks per module seems about right. Although I'm not in a rush, as long as I finish by September 2014 do I have the option of college for L4.

I'm hoping my two voluntary jobs will enable me to also do treasury roles in September. I will also do a sage course at some point and if I have time I will start a Latin course, in case accounting doesn't work out, I have another potential career option.
  • florisaigau
    florisaigau Registered Posts: 15 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    L3 self study

I'm self studying L3 too. I still have itx, peaf just to sit(I'm prepared for them) and spread sheet software , on the old syllabus too.
  • Cudey
    Cudey Registered Posts: 138 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Just Ethics left for me on 13th August. Doing classroom study - though it's a tedious subject!

Keep on these boards Vlee, it really helps keep morale and motivation high when times get a bit tough. Also, I find it useful reading about peoples successes, and what others move on to. I regularly read the members discussion section to look to the future.

Also a lot of helpful people here to help you understand tricky bits - I probably owe a few members a drink now!

Heads up to - If your plan doesn't work, get ITX out the way with before Christmas. I studied it in December 2012, but was told 3 days before my exam (in December) that I had been taught the 2013 syllabus. Wasn't pleased to say the least, as I was never told that regulations etc change in January!
  • Vlee
    Options
    Cudey, good luck for PEAF, dull indeed but most of the questions in the exam were predictable, just a few I really didn't know and couldn't find in the code etc afterwards.

I was a little worried about ITX for that reason. I did a green light yesterday and the regististration amounts are from a previous year! I've done all the e learning so now I need to get back into the book. I've already started it twice thanks to the delay on exam dates. I'm guessing the syllabus only changed with regards to new amounts rather than content.
  • Cudey
    Cudey Registered Posts: 138 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Vlee wrote: ยป
    Cudey, good luck for PEAF, dull indeed but most of the questions in the exam were predictable, just a few I really didn't know and couldn't find in the code etc afterwards.

I was a little worried about ITX for that reason. I did a green light yesterday and the regististration amounts are from a previous year! I've done all the e learning so now I need to get back into the book. I've already started it twice thanks to the delay on exam dates. I'm guessing the syllabus only changed with regards to new amounts rather than content.

Thanks Vlee :001_smile:

The amounts definitely changed - and some of the questions I felt I never covered before in the syllabus - and believe it or not the guide they provided me just confused me a lot in the exam. Would highly recommend doing ITX before December. I still passed it first time, but was definitely the lowest pass I got, though I contribute this to anger, and being right before Christmas and my works year end - there were certainly a few sleepless nights!
  • steve2008
    steve2008 Registered Posts: 89 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I've got PEAF, CM and C&R left. I WAS hoping to get them done in July but many a personal thing came up (lots of research on Capital gains tax, inheritance tax, and double taxation agreements. ) So I wasn't able to study AAT as well. On the plus side that info might come in handy for PTX in level 4.

Currently I am 'done' studying for PEAF, just need to revise for it, and 1/3 of the way through the CM book. I don't know when I am going to finish now, but it has to be before the end of the year. Time to hit the books for the first real time in like 3 weeks...
Privacy Policy