Level 3 Self Study

Idle Jim
Idle Jim Registered Posts: 4 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi all,

Having rattled through L2 fairly rapidly, am considering self studying L3. Are there any obstacles to this
other than my own frazzled brain?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already. Obviously will be attempting AAT 2013.

Many thanks in advance.

Jim

Comments

• imtiaz
    imtiaz Registered Posts: 20 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I self studied level 3 (AQ2010). Wasn't a problem for me and managed to pass everything first time. The timeframe I took to complete level 3 was quite fast, roughly starting around the middle of December 2012. Sat and passed all level 3 exams except the spreadsheet one by 15 february 2013. Needed ยฃยฃยฃs so had to wait for the spreadsheet exam until June :/ lol

So yes you can do it!

I would say even level 4 can be self studied which I am doing atm. Although it is more difficult obviously and requires more time.
  • Idle Jim
    Cheers Imtiaz. Thanks for your help :)
  • Idle Jim
    Bookswise, I think I'm leaning towards Osborne (I liked the Osborne BC book I used for Lvl2). Has anyone got experience of Osborne vs Kaplan vs BPP and able to give an unbiased appraisal?
  • zaf1987
    zaf1987 Registered Posts: 124 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi have used both kaplan and bpp. Bpp beat kaplan hands down. The question bank for bpp is fantastic. I used osbourne for level costing but didnt like it.

Zaf
  • PhillipP
    PhillipP Registered Posts: 20 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I used BPP for Accounts Preparation 1 and am currently using Osborne for AP2 and I think that they are both as good as each other.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

Are there any obstacles to this other than my own frazzled brain?

You will need to pay for a training provider in respect of the spreadsheet module as this is not examined by CBA... unless it is changing for the new standards. The same will also apply for Level 4 ICAS.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Bookswise, I think I'm leaning towards Osborne (I liked the Osborne BC book I used for Lvl2). Has anyone got experience of Osborne vs Kaplan vs BPP and able to give an unbiased appraisal?

I have seen Osborne books and Kaplan books through handouts etc... however I used BPP for my AAT studies and these are the books I prefer and would recommend. The question banks are fantastic and am hoping for something similar with further studies :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • wabisabi
    wabisabi Registered Posts: 130 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi Jim

I think that under AQ2013 Ethics is also a computer based project which you would have to get marked by a training provider. So you would have to build that into your costs.

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to textbooks. I'm self studying L3 mainly using the Osborne books, but also referring to Kaplan for extra practice.

Best of luck with it.

WS
  • Idle Jim
    Thanks all for your input.

I'm on the fence between BPP and Osborne. I may have to buy both!

If I need to use a TP for one or more of the modules so be it, not the end of the world.

Cheers all
    Jim
  • taraskyn
    taraskyn Registered Posts: 41 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Level 3 self-study - piece of cake. Save yourself a good sum on money. Do it on your own time, be your own boss. No pressure, no nothing. Pay for your exams when you want it and how you want it and choose different providers as they all charge different amounts for sitting exams.
    There are some people, well the majority of people who just unable to self-study and need a tutor to explain thing to them. That's why education have always been the most successful business in the world.
    I paid a lot of money for level 2 in college and completed it in 3 months mostly by myself. Rip off.
    Osborne books are good for level 3 but you can refer to any other literature if you want.
    And come to this forum for an advice. Brilliant people here are always ready to help. We all in this together.
    Good Luck to you!!!
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi all,

Having rattled through L2 fairly rapidly, am considering self studying L3. Are there any obstacles to this
    other than my own frazzled brain?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already. Obviously will be attempting AAT 2013.

Many thanks in advance.

Jim

If you envisage completing Level 3 quickly as well then you might be better off staying on AQ2010 so that you don't have to do the new PEAF assessment. It's more difficult and it's another one that you'd need to get a training provider to mark. By the time you've paid for the books and 2 marked units you might be getting close to what you would have spent buying the whole level through a distance learning provider.
Privacy Policy