AAT membership

Lindux
Lindux Registered Posts: 29 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi,

I have finally received my last AAT exam results..PASSED!!!! Thats it..Im DONE with AAT but now I am wondering what to do with the AAT yearly membership fees. Do I carry on paying it each year and what is the advantage/disadvantage if I decide to stop paying...also, I still havent got my MAAT...working on it right now ;-) What is others views regarding this?
Thanks

Comments

• amyjayne27
    amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Lindux,

Firstly congrats on finishing! What a brilliant achievement. I am not quite there yet, but my understanding of it is that when you pay the yearly fees you can use the letters MAAT after your name. If you don't pay the fees I don't think you can be associated with the AAT. Well done again!
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Congratulations on passing your AAT entry examinations, a fantastic achievement which came as a result of lots of hard work.

The whole point of the exams is to prove to AAT that at the exam date you had sufficient knowledge (which when linked with the specified experience levels) means that you can be admitted as a member of AAT. Being a member gives you access to all the AAT knowledge resources, shows that you meet the high professional standards required, gives you networking and CPD opportunities and allows you to use the MAAT designatory letters. In return, you have to carry out the required level of CPD and pay yor annual membership subscriptions. If you do not pay the fees you can not be a member of AAT.

AAT is a professional body run on behalf of its members and students by its members, it is funded through its membership subs. If no one paid subs, there would be no members and no AAT. It only sets exams to keep up the standards of its membership. I think to throw away your membership after all that hard work would be a shame. If you do not move on to full membership you will be left wondering why did you put yourself through all that work and stress when you have nothing to show for it?
  • Lindux
    Thanks guys for your replies....but now I am confused...my understanding was that MAAT you can only use after your name when you have moved on to full membership, not when you have just finished your level 4...please could someone confirm this for me ;-)
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Lindux, sorry if I am confusing you.

You are correctyou can only use MAAT when you are a full member (thats what the letters stand for, a Member of the Association of Accounting Technicians). To become a member you have to prove you have sufficient knowledge (by completing the various levels of study and tests) and demonstrate that you have the relevant experience and standing. Having past these tests you then have to agree to pay the membership fees and undertake CPD. If you stop paying you can not be a Member.
  • Lindux
    Cheers...But then again it be too good to be real....;-) Will look tonight what experience they ask to be able to get my MAAT ;-) Who knows, maybe I can get it already ;-)
Privacy Policy