Be your own boss

ChristianB
ChristianB Registered Posts: 197 Epic contributor 🐘
edited February 2017 in General accounting discussion
Welcome!

This thread is for AAT members who are attending one of our ‘Be your own boss’ events in 2016.

These events are designed to give you an insight into the life of an AAT Member in Practice. You’ll learn how to set up your own successful bookkeeping or accountancy business and how AAT can support you.

Please use this thread to network with like minded members before, during and after the events. If you have any questions, or if you have recently attended one of these events and wish to offer feedback, we welcome that as well!

One more thing…

If you’re due to attend one of these events, we ask that you complete a pre-event worksheet beforehand. It won’t take long and will ensure that you get the most out of your experience.

You can download the entire worksheet below.

Tumbled down the rabbit hole?

If you have stumbled into this thread completely by mistake and wish to know more about 'Be your own boss', simply visit AAT’s website and use our AAT events search tool. Search for ‘Be your own boss’ under ‘Event type’ and you’ll pull-up the locations previewed below.

Regards

I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us

Comments

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    I would like to attend one however the nearest one for me is in London so would have to wait until November...How about the webinars? I see they are marked as "follow up", but do they cover the same topics and would they be useful even if I missed the event? Any feedback appreciated!
  • ChristianB
    edited March 2015
    Hi @MarieNoelle

The webinars will be released within a week after each event and will basically cover all of the salient points, so you will be able to get something out of them if you cannot attend yourself.

That being said, we strongly urge you to attend the London event when November rolls around as you'll get the most out of it in person.

Kind regards
    I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
  • BCASL
    BCASL Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    Looking forward to seeing you all in Milton Keynes - who else is going?
  • ChristianB
    We hope everyone enjoyed the first Be Your Own Boss event this weekend. Can you spot yourself in this very professional-looking snap?

Via @BCASL

• Vickie.Moreleigh
    Vickie.Moreleigh Registered Posts: 1
    I attended this event on Saturday and found it very informative and a great chance to meet other AAT students/members and affiliates in the same position I am in- considering becoming a member in practice. The course covered plenty of areas that we need to think about in a well balanced way without being overwhelming.
  • ChristianB
    edited August 2015
  • MarieNoelle
    Thank you for this! However I have just realised it clashes with a branch event I was going to attend... :'(
  • ChristianB
    Oh dear! Well if it helps, you will be able to access the recording via CPD Interactive once the session has finalised (the day after)!
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    To any interested parties - @MarieNoelle - here's a recording of the recent AAT Be Your Own Boss follow-up webinar.

The next live event will be on 20 June in Peterborough, and you can book your ticket here.

Let us know if you're intending to come along, and share your motivations in this thread so we can factor it into the content!
  • MarieNoelle
    @StuartW I tried to follow your link but it opens a page "Adobe Connect" asking me for login details - I have tried entering MyAAT login details - no luck. Any advice? Thanks.
  • StuartW
  • MarieNoelle
    Thanks @stuartW it's working now!
  • LTuffs
    LTuffs Registered Posts: 2
    Hi, I'd really like to come to the London Event, but I am interested in perhaps starting up my own book-keeping/management accounting service business rather than an accountancy practice - will this still be OK?
  • StuartW
    Hi @LTuffs - the events are focused on self-employment via the AAT Members in Practice scheme, so if that's a route you're considering taking it would be worth attending.
  • LTuffs
    LTuffs Registered Posts: 2
    edited June 2015
    Thanks @stuartW, yes I definitely will sign up for this seminar........
  • Althea82
    Althea82 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Thanks for the info, will defo be attending.
  • Althea82
    Althea82 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    I really went to setup my practise but I’m a little apprehensive on how to go about it. Does anyone know off a mentoring scheme which help/ assist people on how to go about this. Thanks
  • JasleenKaur
    JasleenKaur Registered Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    Thank you for the information.
  • NikkiGrantham
    NikkiGrantham Registered Posts: 1
    Hi. This event in London next month sounds perfect for me but I know I can't afford to get there.
    I'm desperate to get started as my own boss at home but really just don't know where to begin really.
    I've approached a couple of MIP's in my area, in the hope of gaining some help / information / guidance from them, but have had no joy with them unfortunately.
    Does anybody know of any online support that could help me please?
    Thanks very much in advance :)
  • MarieNoelle
    Hi Nikki,
    I too tried to contact some MIPs in my area and even emailed my branch's contacts. They never replied. In the end I found a mentor through this forum. They are not local but I contact them via email and the occasional phone call and they have always been incredibly helpful and patient.
    Good luck :)
Privacy Policy