Business Tax

Options
How did everyone find the Business Tax exam? I am seeing a lot of people are struggling with this exam due to poor revision tools from AAT themselves with the green light tests and having a lack of CBA practise papers.

Comments

• Hahmed
    Hahmed Registered Posts: 27
    Options
    How did you find the exam?
  • Kitkat82
    Kitkat82 Registered Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I retook this exam this morning and the first question compelled threw me as it was in a format I had not experienced before. Instead of the single scenario and having to add back and deduct various items you has 6 different scenarios with different expenses and had to say if u were adding back or deducting a total so I've completely ballsed up on the first question, that in turn throws your focus for the rest of it. Why isn't there further revision material?!?!? When the exams were paper based you could go back several years to print off and use as practice!!!!!

It's the last exam I need and I've only been trying to pass since September last yr after taking a studying break :(

Has anyone taken this exam recently?
  • Hahmed
    Hahmed Registered Posts: 27
    Options
    What tips can you give me for this exam as I will be sitting it next week
  • Eastbury_7
    Eastbury_7 Registered Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow Kitkat82 - it is shocking and i hear this all the time. you revise and learn for one format, and you feel as though you are doing really well, then it comes to the real exam which has a huge question bank and provides you with a completely different format which, for anyone, the usual response is to panic and therefore fail overall and this BTX exam is too small and has no room for error at all. I agree and think more formats should be used for people like you could before with the paper based exams... - i will be sitting my exam during October 15 time so i will let you know how i get on..
  • Kitkat82
    Options
    Sorry guys I didn't get any notifications to say anyone had replied :/

The only tip I would suggest it practice with what you've got. Osborne do quizzes and the AAT green light questions. I found reading the assessor so reviews helped point out where ppl when wrong so I could try and learn from others mistakes. Maybe ask your tutors for extra questions to test you.

I just wish they didn't change the format like that without anything like it in the practice exams.

Worst bit is waiting 6 weeks to find out I've failed again. So close to saying f**k it now :(
  • Kitkat82
    Options
    karen mustard's website has exam revision notes that may help as well
    www.mustardaccountancy.com :)
  • Eastbury_7
    Options
    Kitkat82 - do NOT give up. I am in a similar state as i still need to revise BTX and sit the exam then wait 6 weeks for results and if it's a fail i may only just get one more shot before the syllabus changes in Jan 16!!
  • Kitkat82
    Options
    I've got so much going on with my partners ill health, my mum having treatment for secondary cancer and my grandad having terminal cancer, I feel like this exam has beaten me. I thought financial statements would do me in but it didn't, stupid btx is my enemy! 5 weeks ago today I sat the exam, I was hoping for an early result....I know silly to think I'd get it before the 6 weeks period lol.

Good luck with your resit, pull your finger out and revise, it's the only way to pass this level!
  • Kitkat82
    Options
    I failed again! :'(:'(:'(
  • Bexster
    Bexster Registered Posts: 31
    Options
    null
    Dont worry, keep trying, I have just sat my personal tax exam for the fourth time... Ive done every exam at least twice. It will pay off for you I promise!
  • Eastbury_7
    Options
    kitkat82 - i am so sorry to hear about this. i hope you are ok, keep strong!!

as for btx, do not give up! - keep going you will soon pass!! have faith!
  • Ly21
    Ly21 Registered Posts: 18 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi! I've done last month my 2nd attempt of BTAX.. I just wanted to know, if BTAX is not passed by Jan'16 .. what does it means? that I will have to study the new syllabus? or is I just have til' January to pass, and if not I fail the whole AAT LEVEL 4 ? Sorry I'm confused!!

• Ana
    Ana Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    This is my last exam and I failed in july. I'm retaking again next month. I find this unit a real nightmare, much more than any other. I passed most of my exams first time and I feel a hit a wall now! They should have more mock exams in the AAT website
  • KarenMustardTutor
    KarenMustardTutor Registered, Tutor Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I am so sorry to hear the BTax stories.
    With my students we have a list by task of what the examiner is testing. Then we play a little game where the students has to think - If the examiner was trying to make the exam a bit fresher, how else could they test this knowledge other than the usual format?.
    Practice papers are great but also try to think what the examiner is trying to assess.
  • KarenMustardTutor
    Options
    If you do not pass BTAX then you need to resit it. If this is in 2016 then it will be under Finance Act 2015 so some rules will be different.
    You will not have to resit the whole of Level 4.
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hey guys,

Sorry to hear that this exam is causing so much grief! I personally loved the tax exams.

I think blaming the format of a question is a bit of a cop out. Of course if you practice answering something one way then when it changes you will need to rethink, but you should know the info and be able to apply it to any scenario- in real life you won't get things in a certain format all the time.

It is a hard exam when you take it, but I think if you have passed all the others- incl P tax- then you definitely shouldn't give up! You will pass it!

Just keep revising the core principals, maybe set yourself some questions about the stuff you've learnt in different ways, not just the way it is in the revision material.

Good luck everyone!
    B x
  • zippi
    zippi Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I feel same about Cash Management!!! Managed to pass it all first time, this one is a real nightmare! Exam questions are laid out quite differently just to confuse you more. Was thinking of having one more go and if not than change it to Ptax or auditing!

• Ana
    Options
    Ah, you love tax exams Becca!!!! I know what you mean and I agree about the exam format and they want you to think. But really, this one, I don't know what it's, a real nightmare for me. I think my problem is not grabbing the basics. I get very confused with the dates, payment dates, basis periods and the rest. Anyway, I'm retaking the exam in a month time and I WILL PASS
  • Ana
    Options
    Sorry Zippi to hear about cash management, keep going. Is going to be your second time retaking? Good luck, you WILL do it.
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Options
    @Ana that's the attitude! I've got a cta exam tomorrow, and although I say I loved the aat tax exams, this cta one is not very friendly! But we can only do our best :) good luck for your next and final attempt! B X
  • Ana
    Options
    What a cta? Good luck !
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Options
    Oh sorry, its chartered tax. CIOT. Thanks, you too Xx
  • KarenMustardTutor
    Options
    Have a look at this HMRC webinar if you want help with task penalties and fines
    https://youtu.be/wahTX6bp6zI
Privacy Policy