How much work experience is needed to apply for MAAT status

The website is very confusing as to how much work experience is needed to apply for MAAT status.
I have changed my career into accounting (6 months ago), I have passed all exams and am now ready to apply for MAAT status but am confused to actually how much is needed. The reason I am asking this question is that a colleague who is doing the same job as I am (Accounts Clerk) became a full member in 2012 and I need some more help and advice on this matter please. The technical competency I am looking at is the financial accounting but this mentions preparing the trial balance and financial statements, which no one in this office does anyway. Does this mean that I can't apply to become a full member?

Comments

• KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    I'm currently still finishing off my level 4 AAT, but I believe that the absolute minimum requirement for MAAT status is meeting certain competencies (which you mentioned), plus at least 2 years' verifiable work history in the field.

Good luck! :)
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • mike150185
    mike150185 Registered Posts: 41
    I've been in my current role for 6 months and I've met the work experience requirements (apparently). According to the website, all I need to is nominate a referee, complete the declaration and pay membership feed (as well as pass the remaining exams). Could you link me to where it says you need 2 years work history?
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    I've reread the rules, Mike, and you're quite right - I think when my tutor originally told me about the requirements for MAAT, I misunderstood him.

What it really is, is that you must satisfy the work-based competences, have relevant work experience, a professional referee who has been your senior for at least 6 MONTHS (there's the minimum timeframe requirement), and have passed the qualification (which was the typical 2 year timeframe that my tutor mentioned).

...hey, so this means that having already worked in my new job for 4 months, I've almost met the professional reference requirement (and work experience too maybe) already! Good news! :)
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
Privacy Policy