Capium

TreadStone
TreadStone Registered Posts: 280 Epic contributor 🐘
Does anyone use Capium for their cloud practice solutions ? Particularly the bookkeeping and accounts modules.

I'd appreciate any feedback from any users out there... :)

Comments

• mrme89v2
    mrme89v2 Registered Posts: 8
    edited January 2017
    I got as far as trialling it a couple of years ago.

It seemed a decent package, but parts at the time seemed unfinished.
  • TreadStone
    Let's hope things have improved since then.

They have a stand at Accountex so they'll have to at least match the competition....
  • TreadStone
    Anyway , thought you'd been banned =);)
  • mrme89v2
    The time and fees looked good.

The free cloud bookkeeping looked alright too - no idea of their MTD digital intentions though.

You'll find the version 1 was banned, not version 2.
  • TreadStone
    mrme89v2 said:

You'll find the version 1 was banned, not version 2.

Let's wait a week or two... =)
  • mrme89v2
    In a week, version 1 won't be banned (apparently).
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    > @TreadStone said:
    > You'll find the version 1 was banned, not version 2.
    >
    > Let's wait a week or two... =)

Agreed... @mrme89v2 can't stay out of trouble :) x
  • mrme89v2
    I think you should be giving credit where it is due.

One ban in 18 months is pretty good considering what we have to work with at times.
  • TreadStone
    Well that didn't last long...... :s
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Wow.
    :)
  • 98emrm
    98emrm Registered Posts: 10
    They derserved to be banned I reckon.
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Yeh I agree, he was an odd one.

Welcome to the Forum! :)
  • 98emrm
    98emrm Registered Posts: 10
    Definitely odd, but what a looker.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I use Capium. We decided to move to it in November after difficulties with Keytime for quite some time. I particularly wanted an online solution and looked at various solutions mainly GBooks, Taxfiler and BTC. BTC seemed too clunky and slow so I ruled that out. Taxfiler was good for tax but the accounts production side was pretty dire. They were meant to be improving it when I first enquired (back in May) but it still ahd not been sorted in November. GBooks was just not my sort of thing.

Important parts to me were:-

Cloud based
    Multi-user
    Sensible pricing
    Easy to use
    Ideally integrate with Xero
    Journal type data entry in AP
    Ability to file directly to CH as well as HMRC

Capium managed to tick all of these apart from Xero integration. It was not a direction they wished to go in as they have their own bookkeeping product. However they do have a really good TB entry method which is quick (you import a csv and quickly map it).
    Journals are simple and straightforward. It mainly integrates between AP and tax although some areas could be improved such as capital allowances for the self-employed and linking partners to partnerships. I have suggested some improvements and fixes needed already and they have been attended to.

Overall I'm very happy with the product.
    We use, Accounts production, personal tax and partnership tax and corporation tax.
    I do not use:-
    Practice manager - we use Glide
    Payroll - we use moneysoft although we may change to Capium from April.
    Regards,

Burg
  • TreadStone
    Interesting to hear, thanks Ian.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I'm starting a trial this month, but still not clear on the MTD aspects of it.
  • TreadStone
    Gem7321 said:

I'm starting a trial this month, but still not clear on the MTD aspects of it.

I might too based on what you've said about Sage One ! =)
  • TreadStone
    edited February 2017
    UPDATE

I signed up with Capium yesterday and have received the 7 day free trial. This allows you access to all of the modules including the practice management.

Early indications are promising. I managed to put together a set of company accounts (using the Accounts Production module) and the corresponding CT600 yesterday (using the Corporation Tax module - obviously). I entered the Accounts figures using a manual TB.

By the time I got familiar with the interface/dashboard/menus etc it took me just under 2 hours in total to complete the above. For quickness, I used a set of accounts and CT600 I'd already completed on other software so I knew what figures to expect.

I also had the online demo today which briefly went through each module.

After this, I had a bash at CapiSign which allows you to send documents to clients for signature which I'm pleased to say was successful. First time I'd tried anything like this and it certainly looks useful as does the whole Practice Management module as it can more than likely accommodate as much info as you wish.

I haven't tried the bookkeeping module yet but that will happen as I don't think it can be overlooked as it's free. Sage One (which we have recently signed up for) is £10mth per client. You do the math. If it does produce the goods, it could be a shrewd move on Capium's part.

Haven't tried the Payroll module as that isn't high on the agenda.

So, initial impressions are fairly good but there's probably a disappointment or two waiting for me somewhere down the line B)
  • TreadStone
    I found that out years ago, the wife told me... =)
  • BeccaLouJ9
    @mrme89 you won't last long if you put links like that up.... remember you must be good to remain here.....

Ha
    B x
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Well if it is purely to help @TreadStone then I see no harm.... Carry on...
    B x
  • TreadStone

I haven't tried the bookkeeping module yet but that will happen as I don't think it can be overlooked as it's free. Sage One (which we have recently signed up for) is £10mth per client. You do the math. If it does produce the goods, it could be a shrewd move on Capium's part.

Just checked the subscription and it appears you pay monthly for the Bank Feeds - £5 per client per month :o

They didn't mention that during the demo ! :s

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have been trialling the bookkeeping module of Capium for the last month and have been really disappointed with it :s

We imported the bank statements for one account and manually entered for another using the 'quick entry' function so that we could use the manual bank rec function as we don't want to pay £5 per month per client when we can just as easily import a csv or enter manually accounts with few transactions.

All seemed to be good until I noticed that none of the quick entry payments to DLA had actually posted. It was something to do with no VAT rate being selected, however this cell was 'greyed out' during entering but was clear when we edited the entry so we had to edit each line. Thought maybe I had missed something when I entered but did it again to check and had the same issue.

Also, the 'explaining' process of the bank transactions is a bit clunky and time-consuming if you are used to a suggestion based bank rec like xero. I think it may have actually been quicker to enter the imported statement manually as well using quick entry.

Also, the manual bank rec function isn't really manual. The statement balance is an auto-generated balance by capium based on the transactions entered, so if they are all 'ticked off' (which again didn't seem to be fully functioning) it was reporting as reconciled, even though half of the transactions hadn't been entered. There is no way to manually input the actual statement balance.

In order to actually reconcile the account so I would know where I was when I picked the job up again in a few weeks time I entered the unknown transactions using quick entry to suspense account. Again they didn't actually post. Queried with support and they said that only journals can be posted to the suspense account. This can be got-around but would have been nice to know before. But it still baffled me that I had these entries sitting there which hadn't actually gone anywhere.

Also had some issues with Quick Entry payments in the first instance whereby unless you enter an 'invoice date' as well as a 'payment date' all of your entries will be posted to 'advance payments' regardless of the nominal code you enter. Again, would have been nice to know but at least now we know.

Capium doesn't handle reverse charge so we had to manually adjust this on the VAT return. We also had an issue where there was a nominal code for EC Purchases which we reconfigured to another cost of sales code and updated the VAT settings etc. but it seems that all items posted to this nominal regardless of the VAT settings will appear in Box 9 and Box 2 of the return. Obviously this can be got-around as well but would have been nice to know before.

If they improve the manual bank rec process I would be tempted but my overall opinion is that it seems a little underdeveloped and I'll be sticking with ClearBooks and VT for the time being.
Privacy Policy