Cheapest way to sit exams as an external student

Hi,

I've just started to self study and am wondering which training provider I should use to sit the exams. Has anybody got any idea of the prices of each individual unit at Level 2 (2016 version)?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• shannonr1990shannonr1990 Registered Posts: 35
    If you are self studying that means you wont have a training provider? If you have a training provider that means you will be distance learning or online learning... this isn't the cheapest method at all some training provider courses can cost up to £1,000 some more! More and more people self study these days because you do not need a training provider to mark your work anymore (unlike the A02013) all you need to do is book each exam through Kaplan or another college/ exam centre which takes external candidates.

I am currently self studying Levels 2 & 3 (I am already half way through Level 2) the cheapest method for this, is look up the syllabus for AQ2016 buy all the books on Osborne books website study the text and do mock exams/ practise papers which you will find on your AAT student login (you need to register with AAT and pay fee's to be able to access study material AND pay for your exams). Once you are ready to sit a unit exam book this on Kaplan's website, you need to register with them as an EXTERNAL CANDIDATE (i.e a self study candidate who doesn't belong to any college/training provider) all you do is give them your AAT Membership number (which you get once you have paid your membership fee's) pay for your unit exam which at the moment is £75.00 per exam i believe, and then turn up to sit your exam at whatever centre you have chosen, there are lots of centres in the UK to sit your exams just select which one when booking.

tbh this really is the cheapest way of doing it.
    Sorry for waffling on, hope it is somewhat clear & helps you out!!
  • HelloKirstyHelloKirsty Registered Posts: 3
    Hi Rothers,

I have self-studied from level 2 to level 4 (two units left!) on AQ2013. Other than the pesky project-based exams, I have ordered study materials from Kaplan (approx. £50 for two books per unit) and then sat the exams at a local exam centre for £62 each.

I'm sure that you could do something similar for AQ2016.
  • Jdan95Jdan95 Registered Posts: 19
    Hi Rothers,

I too have self studied. I did AQ2016 Level 2 and currently self studying Level 3. I personally use both BPP and Kaplan for exams. Kaplan have limited availability for exams, so if I can't book with them I call BPP and ask their dates. Exams are roughly £80 each.

I buy all my books from Kaplan. I just ordered books and they currently have a 40% discount with code HSBd1Sc-s. Think I saved about £50.

The only Project Based Exam I've done so far was the UACS one. You'll need Sage One or Sage Instant for this - you can get a trial online. Again, Kaplan also have a book for this.

I find self studying much easier and faster. I've done Level 2 and half of Level 3 in roughly 4 months.

All the best,

James
  • rothersrothers Registered Posts: 9
    Hi Kirsty/James,

Thanks for your replies. I'm using the Osborne books and am looking to take the first units exam.

Cheers,

Tony
    If you are self studying that means you wont have a training provider? If you have a training provider that means you will be distance learning or online learning... this isn't the cheapest method at all some training provider courses can cost up to £1,000 some more! More and more people self study these days because you do not need a training provider to mark your work anymore (unlike the A02013) all you need to do is book each exam through Kaplan or another college/ exam centre which takes external candidates.

I am currently self studying Levels 2 & 3 (I am already half way through Level 2) the cheapest method for this, is look up the syllabus for AQ2016 buy all the books on Osborne books website study the text and do mock exams/ practise papers which you will find on your AAT student login (you need to register with AAT and pay fee's to be able to access study material AND pay for your exams). Once you are ready to sit a unit exam book this on Kaplan's website, you need to register with them as an EXTERNAL CANDIDATE (i.e a self study candidate who doesn't belong to any college/training provider) all you do is give them your AAT Membership number (which you get once you have paid your membership fee's) pay for your unit exam which at the moment is £75.00 per exam i believe, and then turn up to sit your exam at whatever centre you have chosen, there are lots of centres in the UK to sit your exams just select which one when booking.

tbh this really is the cheapest way of doing it.
    Sorry for waffling on, hope it is somewhat clear & helps you out!!
  • SketchbexSketchbex Registered Posts: 12
    Hello, Just to follow on from this thread in regards to being an external student. Do you just contact BPP/Kaplan directly and ask to be put forward to your exams. Does this limit the test centre you can use.

Are you also provided certificates per unit or overall?
    edited May 19
    I sit mine with Kaplan and they are good there are hundreds of centre's across UK you just book which ever exam you want on whatever day is available at the centre closest to you (can do this by typing in a postcode). You have to make sure you are AAT registered though as you will need to give them your number. think you can do it online or call them. and you are provided certificate once you have passed each level. You will get a % mark which will let you know if you have passed each unit. Check on your AAT page.
    Sketchbex
  • SketchbexSketchbex Registered Posts: 12
    Thank you Shannon, do I have to go through a provider or can I just go to a test centre directly? The closest to me in London which isnt local for Kaplan but there are smaller centres much closer?