I am I qualified to become self employed?

Good morning! This is my first time posting on here and was hoping for some friendly advice. I qualified as an accounting technician in 2007, since then I have been in the hospitality sector doing mostly management accounts. I am a mum of 2 with another on the way and was considering going self employed to allow myself more flexibility. However I am very aware that I will be asked to do tax returns, and I have minimal experience of this. How is the best way to go about gaining experience? I am planning on re-studying my personal tax and business tax units from level 4 to refresh my memory and bring me more up to date, and I'm even considering offering to volunteer at accountancy firms to get some experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TreadStone
    TreadStone Registered Posts: 280 Epic contributor 🐘

I'm even considering offering to volunteer at accountancy firms to get some experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This. It will go a long way for preparing you for what you may potentially have to deal with in the future. Good luck :)
  • Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    With circa ten years of experience I'd imagine you've encountered the odd bookkeeping transaction here and there.

As an oppose to aiming to fully service smaller businesses how about aim to perform the bookkeeping of larger businesses?

Send letters to local accountants. I'd say you're very valuable with your knowledge of how business works.

Then in the future who knows where it could take you.
  • louisedcwest
    louisedcwest Registered Posts: 2
    Thank you both for your comments :)
  • Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    Bloody Hell! Someone finally says thank you!
  • prince
    prince Registered Posts: 5
    Diverting from employment to becoming a self-employed Mum will also need some commitment, particularly because you don't have substantial experience for now.
  • prince
    prince Registered Posts: 5
    I second your opinion to volunteer, but ensure you complete your fourth grade as well as you try to raise your starting capital.
Privacy Policy