Understanding the level of AAT

Options
I have currently been studying AAT for roughly 8 months now (Level 2). I am planning on doing level 3 & 4 also as my apprenticeship is for 3 years and I'm expected to complete AAT. However, I am having some trouble understanding where I am in this food chain. Once I complete this qualification what exactly do I have? What is it classed as? An NVQ? What job roles are open to me? After I have completed the qualification I plan on starting ACCA/CIMA, but whilst starting a new journey in education, I will be starting one in my career too, so it would be good to know if there is anything that might be 'out of my league' until I finish all my studies.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kieran

Comments

• Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    Options

If you don't know already you're wasting your time.

It's like that.
  • Kieran88
    Kieran88 Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    Wasting my time? I wouldn't exactly call it that, I've been looking for an answer to this since I started and not even my AAT provider can tell me. I'm over half way through my first year and I'm exceeding my targets. Finance is the area that I want to work in and AAT is helping me to achieve that, so please, spare me the smart comments. Especially if you don't have an answer yourself. Nothing nice to say? Don't say it.

It's like that.
  • DannyT90
    DannyT90 Registered Posts: 158
    Options
    I totally understand what you mean. I am currently studying level 2 and will carry on to level 3/4 but I think do I stop there or carry on further.

I suppose we'll only know once we are at the stage we want to be at.

What do you do now?
  • AC88
    AC88 Registered Posts: 44
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi @Kieran88 / @DannyT90

When I researched this a couple years back it came up as:
    • Level 2 - GCSE
    • Level 3 - A Level
    • Level 4 - 1st year of degree
    At, and up to, completion of level 3 your looking at entry level jobs e.g. finance administrator, finance assistant and in (very) rare occasions you can find assistant management accountant jobs, all depends on the company, always read the people spec in jobs.

At level 4 you can go quite a bit further depending on experience anywhere up to a finance manager in smaller companies but you will probably struggle to go any further especially in larger companies.

Larger companies will ask for their management accountant, financial controllers and directors to be chartered e.g. ACCA, CIMA
  • AC88
    Options
    The above refers to working in industry, I have little experience in private practice so can't comment on it.
  • DannyT90
    Options
    I am currently half way through studying Level 2 and I have a interview with an agency tomorrow for a Finance Assistant job, which is entry level and only really dealing with invoices and other small jobs.

Is it too soon for me to be going for these roles, or take advantage of the fact I can now put into practice what i have learnt in a entry level role and gain experience in finance whilst doing my studies?

The company know of my studies and lack of office experience but are still giving me an interview, so can only be a good thing i suppose.
  • Cheesypeesy
    Cheesypeesy Registered Posts: 101
    Options
    @DannyT90 I wouldn't think so, most of the skills you'll need I reckon you'll learn on the job, like making sure invoices are paid on time and serving internal customers. It's definitely worth getting work experience as it will help contextualise your studies.
    Matthew Dearlove MAAT
    Currently on CIMA Management Level. Passed P2, F2 and E2. Preparing for November 19 MCS.
  • AC88
    Options
    @DannyT90 That is exactly the sort of job you should be looking for :-)

Is the interview with the agency or the company hiring?
  • Kieran88
    Kieran88 Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    I am a Finance Apprentice with a company called Cummins. I will study AAT for 3 years and hopefully when I'm finished I will be able to excel in my career there and also excel in education (ACCA/CIMA). I've got 2 more exams left for level 2 then I'll start level 3 in September. @DannyT90

Massive thank you @AC88. That makes a lot of sense to me and I would have to agree with what you said about the levels of AAT, that's certainly how it feels for me at the moment. And that's exactly the type of job roles I was expecting, but I've never really had a solid answer and it's good that there are people who are willing to have their say on it and not try intimidate someone searching for an answer.
  • DannyT90
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The interview is with the agency, sorry should of said.
    They were interested in my studies and didn't seem to bothered with no office experience.
    So I am going to have to just highlight everything I've done in previous jobs that I could bring to the position.

@Cheesypeesy thanks for the advice :)
Privacy Policy