After AAT

Options
AK002
AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hi all, looking for a little bit of advice.

I Will (exam results dependant) be starting Technician level in September. And all results going the way i want, i will be finished in June 2010. My work are going to put my forward to do CA exams after AAT however, i won't have the nescisary work experience to become a full member by that time.

So what i'm looking for in another qualification to do, that takes around a year so thay by that time i will have the full work experiance to become a full member and move onto CA.

I was thinking something along the lines of a tax qualification? Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Have you looked at ATT?

http://www.att.org.uk/
  • AK002
    Options
    jilt wrote: »
    Have you looked at ATT?

http://www.att.org.uk/

I haven't nope.

Do you know how long it takes? can't really see from there website..
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    You could try having a look at the Association of Taxation Technicians. I don't know a lot about them but it might be the sort of thing you're after (awfully organised website though).

Edit: Grrr... you beat me to it.
  • jilt
    Options
    AK002 wrote: »
    I haven't nope.

Do you know how long it takes? can't really see from there website..

Depends on you and how you study. I'm just about start my first module and hope to sit the exam in November. Exams are in May and November and you need to complete 4 modules to gain the qualification, although if you've done business tax in AAT you are exempt from paper 2 in ATT - I discovered that when it was too late :blushing:
  • AK002
    Options
    ^ That's good to know as that is one of the modules i will be doing in AAT.

What's the rough cost of the course? And what are the exams that you are left to sit?

Good luck in November :)
  • CJC
    Options
    Try taking a look at the prospectus, that seems to have all the details. From a quick look, it seems you need to pass four exams and have two years experience for full membership though you can get a credit for one exam if you've passed the AAT Business Tax paper. How long it takes you to pass the three or four exams is how long it takes you, I guess - it could well be the case that being a part-qualified ATT is no bad thing anyway.
  • CJC
    Options
    I think I'll just shut up and leave Jill to it.
  • jilt
    Options
    ^ That's good to know as that is one of the modules i will be doing in AAT.

What's the rough cost of the course? And what are the exams that you are left to sit?

Good luck in November :)

CJC is right you have to pass 4 modules and have 2 years practical experience.

The 3 core modules are personal tax, business tax and accounting priciple (for which you would get the exemption) and practice admin and ethics.

The 4th can be nay of the following:

business tax higher skills
    VAT
    Business compliance
    IHT, trusts & estates

Also ou have to be registerd with ATT for 6 months before you can sit an exam.

Hope this helps :001_smile:
  • jilt
    Options
    CJC wrote: »
    I think I'll just shut up and leave Jill to it.

:laugh:
  • AK002
    Options
    Ah that's a shame as i don't really like the idea of having to be registered with ATT for 6 months before hand.

Are there any other tax qualifications? Or indeed any other qualifications that would last a year/a year and a half at most?
  • jilt
    Options
    Ah that's a shame as i don't really like the idea of having to be registered with ATT for 6 months before hand.
    QUOTE]

There is a lot of ground to cover, 6 months is not that long in study time, especially if you wanted to sit 2 modules at one sitting so that you could finish it in 1 year.

Not sure about any tax qualifications that can be done in much less time than ATT. One idea may be to start studying ATT paper 3 (business tax higher skills) not long after you start studying AAT's business tax and sit the exam in May, then sit the other 2 papers in November. Just a thought.

Good luck whatever you decide :001_smile:
  • mahdi87
    mahdi87 Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    the ATT seems to be good route if u wona pursuit a Carrier in TAX
  • Pigpen
    Pigpen Registered Posts: 331 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Yep - I have just sat my last exam (fingers crossed) and have decided to do the ATT course - In fact Jilt and I are in cahoots over this course and gonna be study buddies :thumbup1:-

I thought it would be good if you wanted to become an MIP or take up a tax position - I liked the tax elements so thought this would be good - Plus the general public are still generally scared/unsure of tax issues, it would seem, so good to cash in - Plus there is an inheritance tax module which is always a minefield for people
  • AK002
    Options
    Cheers for the input guys.

I will be mostly working in audit and accounts but i think it would be good to have a good tax knowledge/qualification if the tax department ever need a hand (January deadline springs to mind).

Can ATT be done over a year? Is the ATT funded like AAT is?

Where else bar Kaplan does it? They're prices are very expensive..
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I believe BPP in Glasgow do. I was replying to another thread a few weeks ago, where someone was looking at doing AAT in Glasgow, but they didn't offer it only the tax.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    well i want to do ACCA at a public school/uni and the nearest one is MMU !!!
  • jilt
    Options

Where else bar Kaplan does it? They're prices are very expensive..

Prices I 've got so far for paper 3 distance learning are:

Kaplan £230
    BPP £220
    Tolleys £224

Let me know if you find any better prices :001_tongue:
  • AK002
    Options
    Looks like I am leaning towards ATT after all lol.

have been quoted £2380 for tuition etc.

How much are the exams, and registration etc?
  • jilt
    Options
    Looks like I am leaning towards ATT after all lol.

have been quoted £2380 for tuition etc.

How much are the exams, and registration etc?

Registration is £32 I think, can't remember how much annual subs are. If you sit one exam it's £100, If you sit more than one a a time there's a small saving, more you sit the cheaper it is.
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Do you mind me asking you what you needed for ATT Jill? ive been trying to work out how much it will cost me and just want to make sure i havent missed anything.

So far ive got:
    Distance learning course fee
    Regestration Fee
    Exam Entry
    Tolleys yellow and orange guides
    ATT Law and accounting manuals.

Id be grateful to know if theres anything obvious that you can see that ive missed.

Cheers

Andrew
  • mark130273
    Options
    sounds like theres is loads to get ready before you actually get started ..studying?
  • jilt
    Options
    Right I've just double checked and I have got it slightly wrong. The £32 is when you register as a member. To register as a student it's £180 at the moment and the registration lasts 3 years which doesn't quite make sense as my student card has an expiry date of 2013!

Can't think of any other expenses unless you want to attend revision courses etc
  • mark130273
    Options
    glad i dont want to do the ATT !!! sounds far to hard ....
  • jilt
    Options
    It gets better :confused1: I phoned the ATT earlier and they quoted me £180 and 3 years, I've just looked on their website and it says -

' Payment of the registration fee (£107 in 2008, £110 in 2009) which is not refundable must accompany all applications for registration.
    The registration period will last for five years. As The Chartered Institute of Taxation’s registration period is three years, you should be aware that only three years or under unexpired registration will be transferred.'

Which explains why my student membership expires Oct 2013 as I registered Oct last year. Not sure where she got the £180 from though, didn't think I'd paid that much :ohmy:
  • AK002
    Options
    mark130273 wrote: »
    glad i dont want to do the ATT !!! sounds far to hard ....

LOL!! I'm beginning to think that myself?
    Repeaters wrote: »
    Just AAT? Agency work or the dole.

????
    jilt wrote: »
    It gets better :confused1: I phoned the ATT earlier and they quoted me £180 and 3 years, I've just looked on their website and it says -

' Payment of the registration fee (£107 in 2008, £110 in 2009) which is not refundable must accompany all applications for registration.
    The registration period will last for five years. As The Chartered Institute of Taxation’s registration period is three years, you should be aware that only three years or under unexpired registration will be transferred.'

Which explains why my student membership expires Oct 2013 as I registered Oct last year. Not sure where she got the £180 from though, didn't think I'd paid that much :ohmy:

LOL! Hmm.. Sounds a bit of a farce doesn't it....

Wonder why exam fees etc are so expensive compared to AAT?
  • AK002
    Options
    Repeaters wrote: »
    LOL! There are some serious problems occurring if the AAT is regarded as 'hard!' I mean, a course that has its only pre-requisites being able to read and write? Yeah, really hard.

If you actually took the time to read the thread rather than just posting sh!te then you would see that this thread is actually about ATT..!
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I hope its not £180, im just going to send £110 and hope its enough.

Which optional unit have you decided to take? im going for higher business tax i think.

I think it looks like a good qualification to go for, just a shame about the cost i mean the tolleys guides alone look like they cost £190
  • jilt
    Options
    Yes I'm doing the business tax higher skills. I'm also thinking of doing the IHT, Trusts etc and possibly VAT, I know I only need 4 to pass but think any others would be very useful. Would certainly go towards CPD.
  • AK002
    Options
    What is CPD? What do you have to do to gain it? Work so many hours in tax?
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Continuing Professional Development and no, I'm afraid there's a bit more to it than that.

There may be some useful snippets here but as Jilt says, further, relevant professional study qualifies as CPD. You still have to keep a log of it though.

Hope this helps.
Privacy Policy