Client fee

monkeypuzzle47
monkeypuzzle47 Registered Posts: 134 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Can i ask you lovely members some advice please. I have a client who sent her accounts to be filed back in January. I have spent at least 3 weeks on sorting it out. Within the last month she has sent me an email apologising for the delays etc as she has been unwell and please be understanding she hasn't had the time to answer my queries. Which is obviously fine I can wait, with have a good relationship. My problem is I have already spent close to a month on the accounts back in Jan and not been paid for the work done. My terms are to invoice on completion of the work and then clients have 30 days to pay. This means that for 3 weeks whilst working on this client i wasn't working on anything else. Do you think i would be rude in invoicing her to pay for half the work done to date? Would love some on advice as to the best way to approach her. Shes been with me for 8 years so not unreasonable at all. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• monkeypuzzle47
    p.s are these posts in this forum private to aat members only? I just notice there are tweet and fb share options. I would not be happy to share my post for instance (not professional).
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I'd invoice them for time spent in January.

On a normal basis the work would be done, filed and payment would have been made, if you client is aware that they are to blame for the delay then an interim invoice shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure if she had cash flow problems she'd be the first to ask for additional time to pay the invoice.

You know your client, I request part payment before submission but I know which clients I can submit and get payment from and which I need to be strict with as they are poor payers.
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368

p.s are these posts in this forum private to aat members only? I just notice there are tweet and fb share options. I would not be happy to share my post for instance (not professional).

The forum isn't private - anyone could read your posts, whether registered on the site or as a guest.
    I have noticed that the ability to share on FB or Tweeter seems to be open to anyone - I think it should be limited to the OP. @AAT_Team please could you look into it? Thank you.
  • monkeypuzzle47

The forum isn't private - anyone could read your posts, whether registered on the site or as a guest.
    I have noticed that the ability to share on FB or Tweeter seems to be open to anyone - I think it should be limited to the OP. @AAT_Team please could you look into it? Thank you.
    If thats the case @AAT_Team please delete my post asap.
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    I am also a little puzzled as you have posted on here for a while and I don't think the forum has ever been private.
    I don't think there is anything in your original post that could threaten yours or your client's identity?
  • RyanMIP
    RyanMIP Registered Posts: 50
    JC!

I'd bill them and explain why.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    @monkeypuzzle47 I moved away from annual billing to monthly subscriptions some years ago now. I still have a few annual payers but they rarely damage my cashflow. Terms are payment before filing but upon completion. Our LOE does however reserve the right to bill in advance if we feel it is necessary.
    Discuss it with the client. Explain your difficulties due to the delay and see if you can come to some agreement.

Also if you really do want the thread deleted just say and I can sort it
    Regards,

Burg
  • monkeypuzzle47

Out of curiosity, why do you think someone would be able to identify you from 'Monkeypuzzle47'?

Its linked to my facebook account is it not? I have no idea. If its not then thats ok.
  • burg

Out of curiosity, why do you think someone would be able to identify you from 'Monkeypuzzle47'?

Its linked to my facebook account is it not? I have no idea. If its not then thats ok.
    It is not linked. You are able to share these threads on Twitter or Facebook. Unless you share it on your page or someone shares it on one of those platforms and tags you then it will not be on your page.
    Regards,

Burg
  • AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 πŸ€– Admin πŸ€–
    Thanks for the feedback, we're looking into the social sharing function to see what our options are.

@monkeypuzzle47 as far as I can see, even by searching your registered email address on Facebook, your identity is secure.

Offtopic: What is everyone's opinion on gating the Licensed Members section to professional members of AAT only?
  • Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    > @Mickdundee said:
    > Students and potential students will gain knowledge and an interest in the profession by reading this section of the forum. I think it is good for students to pick up on things outside of the syllabus.
    >
    > Those that once qualified but resigned to move onto other qualifications would also not be able to view threads, and therefore respond.
    >
    > I think a private club would be a lonely one. I've only just arrived and would like to see more faces. It would be a shame to see that potentially disappear.

I agree.
  • burg
    The forums are quiet and have been for a fiar few years now. This leads me to think we need to keep them open as much as possible to encourage more users. However if a survey was carried out of professional members who do not use the forums and there was overwhelming response of the reason being because the forums were open and public then I would be happy to go down that route.
    I'm aware of why people stopped using the forums (too many changes appearance and functionality) but I'm no aware of why so few new MIP's use the forums.
    Regards,

Burg
  • AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 πŸ€– Admin πŸ€–

It's linked to my facebook account is it not? I have no idea. If it's not then that's ok.
    You may have signed up to the forums using the Facebook login but this doesn't publicly link your accounts on here to Facebook. We have enabled this simply to speed up the sign-up process.

We can turn off the share functions all together but can't lock it down to the OP, although anybody could copy and paste the link from this web page into a social network and achieve the same outcome.

As long as you haven't used your real full name as your username, or disclosed specific details in a post, it would be very difficult for a third party to find out who you are in the real world.
  • Bmer82
    Bmer82 Registered Posts: 69
    to be honest re forum use I have been an AAT member since 2002 and only stumbled upon them by accident when contemplating going it alone and looking at what community resources were out there via google I have noticed more adverts for the forums through aat facebook account etc recently but not sure whether that is down to cookies on my device.
  • monkeypuzzle47

I am also a little puzzled as you have posted on here for a while and I don't think the forum has ever been private.
    I don't think there is anything in your original post that could threaten yours or your client's identity?

To my knowledge
    AAT_Team said:

Thanks for the feedback, we're looking into the social sharing function to see what our options are.

@monkeypuzzle47 as far as I can see, even by searching your registered email address on Facebook, your identity is secure.

Offtopic: What is everyone's opinion on gating the Licensed Members section to professional members of AAT only?

I think this would be a very good idea for the licensed area only.
  • monkeypuzzle47
    Thank you everyone for replying to me. I am still not sure how to reply individually to you on here so please do not think me rude :#
  • monkeypuzzle47
    burg said:

@monkeypuzzle47 I moved away from annual billing to monthly subscriptions some years ago now. I still have a few annual payers but they rarely damage my cashflow. Terms are payment before filing but upon completion. Our LOE does however reserve the right to bill in advance if we feel it is necessary.
    Discuss it with the client. Explain your difficulties due to the delay and see if you can come to some agreement.

Also if you really do want the thread deleted just say and I can sort it

All the clients i have persuaded to move onto the cloud are now charged monthly in preparation for MTD (sigh). I can see this really helping me long term. Its just the 100 odd that are not on the cloud yet :anguished:
  • Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    How many clients do you have?
Privacy Policy