AAT Level 4 Synoptic Exam

GeorgiaH
GeorgiaH Registered Posts: 107
Hello

Has anyone completed the synoptic exam yet for 2016-2017. I would like to know what to expect? Can anyone tell me what kind of questions came up?

Thanks

Comments

• lannieloo
    lannieloo Registered Posts: 95
    Hi, the first sitting of the synoptic isn't until 31st march so no one will have sat it yet! I'm dreading it!!
  • Adele69
    Adele69 Registered Posts: 320
    I'm not doing AQ2016 so hoping to avoid this, but noticed that FI have posted a few webinars on the Synoptic Assessment on youtube in the last few days

• lannieloo
    Oh fab I'll have a look! Thanks
  • KimW
    KimW Registered Posts: 1
    I have taken it already. It is very similar to the mocks provided
  • lannieloo
    Oh my apologies I'm didn't realise there had already been a sitting!! Did you need to revise all 3 units in depth for it?? Was there many calculations of ratios and variances needed??
  • GeorgiaH
    edited March 2017
    Oh great thanks Adele will have a look at the videos see if they help.
    I am dreading it too lannieloo. I have heard that the exam goes back to Level 2 & 3 subjects! I find it hard learning all the ratios, just so much to remember! :o Thanks Kim, I will just have to revise over the mocks, It would be better if the AAT had more mocks to revise online though rather than 2
  • lannieloo
    Hi Georgia how did you find the Exam???
  • GeorgiaH
    Hi Lannieloo

I haven't actually sat the exam yet i was just having a little look at what to expect :) Have you sat your exam?
    I got my results back from financial statements last week but only got 61% so will have to resit that one :/
  • Evi
    Evi Registered Posts: 11
    Hi Georgia

I sat the synoptic in March. Some of the questions were exactly the format we have seen in the sample assessments but some were quite different. For one in the ratio question you have to calculate some ratios then it asks you to decide which of the options below best describes what is happening but it can ask you to compare to the last year or to the budget there are additional parts to the questions.
  • GeorgiaH
    Hi Evi
    Oh well that's good to hear that they are quite similar to the sample questions thanks. I can't remember what question it is but the one where you have to find the weaknesses in the business etc how many did you choose?
    You will have to let me know if you passed :) good luck
  • Evi
    The number of weaknesses was five.

I think this is the first exam that I really have no idea whether I have passed or not, and that was the feeling of everyone who did the exam that day. It is been 2 weeks and I really hate to have to wait.
  • GeorgiaH
    Was it really hard? Have you done decision and control exam yet?

I have that on the 26th April... not looking forward to that atall :/ yes i know 6 weeks for the exam results is a long time to wait considering if you do fail the resits are the week after!
  • lannieloo
    Hey there, yea I sat it in march... I won't lie I didn't like it! I'm rubbish at the written questions, it's where I loose marks in every exam And it was almost all written!
    I'm not confident at all of a pass so roll on the resits in July!!
  • Evi
    I did Decision in Control in December and was one of the fortunate to get a not very difficult exam and I passed on my first attempt. I spent 1.5 hours on the calculations and left 1 hour of the exam just for the writing questions.
  • GeorgiaH
    HI Lannieloo - Oh no.. the thing I tend to do is ramble on about irrelevant points in the writing so i don't think i will be any good at that either! Well hopefully you get the pass :)

Hi Evi - That's great! well done on passing.. I am really struggling with this one, and because there are only 2 practice exams on AAT site, you tend to start memorising the answers rather than working it out and then I come to examples on Osborne site an haven't seen a question like that before! It really is a hard subject.
  • hertshornet
    hertshornet Registered Posts: 21
    Has anyone got results for the 31st March sitting. Any indication of pass rate for your group?
    How much did your tutors go through the scenario?
    How much general revision/preparation did you do apart from the specific systems and control new element.

We have lost lecture time/days and have stark choice of sitting in mid May or after end of college term in early July.
  • lannieloo
    Hi hertshornet,
    31 March results are not out until 12th may!
    As a group we went through our scenario however in the exam I only needed it once.
    However as I'm expecting a fail I wouldn't take much notice of that :-( I'm dreading the results!
  • SabrinaA
    SabrinaA Registered Posts: 5
    Hi guys,

I've got my synoptic exam scheduled for May! Does anyone have any revision tips for this exam? Also for those who have taken the exam was it similar to the aat practise assessments?
  • Whisper
    Whisper Registered Posts: 13
    I sat the exam in March and am still waiting on results (hopefully tomorrow!) The Kaplan Revision kit was incredibly helpful as the entire book is tailored around the information in the pre-lease matieral, definetly worth buying even though its incredibly short, but gives you lots of practice using the material you will be using in the exam.
  • jfrecker
    jfrecker Registered Posts: 24
    edited May 2017
    I sat the exam in March- which I thought was awful - some questions like people say above were very different to the mock and nearly all written which is where I too loose marks, I have passed all the others first time but only got 55% on the Synoptic. So obviously I need to do lots more revision on this awful exam to get through the course Good luck everyone.
  • jfrecker
    Thanks for the tip on the Kaplan revision kit I will take a look at it
  • lannieloo
    I got my synoptic results today! First fail ever!! And by 2%!! I think this one was worse than decision and control which I passed without the increased marks!
    The questions were awful!!
  • jfrecker
    Yes me too I passed it without the increase it is definately worse but you were only 2% away which which is very close
  • Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    edited May 2017
    For 2% would you not consider a re-mark? All you need is a mark or two @lannieloo
  • lannieloo
    They don't seem the much notice of remarks!! I think it would be a waste if money :-(
  • Irrorate
    Am I not right in saying if they mark it up you're refunded the fee? @lannieloo
  • lannieloo
    Not sure? My tutor has not known of a case where an appeal has won, even the appeals in the decision and control were rejected until it was Reviewed!
    Do you know of any secession attempts??
  • Irrorate
    I personally have never known anybody to appeal but given the highly written aspect of the synoptic I would be inclined to try - all it takes is for another examiner to interpret something differently and give you another mark or so. Maybe have a look at your results breakdown and see if you lost marks on written or computer marked?
  • lannieloo
    Yea good point considering it's 90% written are you re sitting next week or July?? I can't decide what to do??
  • Irrorate
    I'm sitting next Friday 19th, not done too much on it yet need to get my butt in gear. Speak with your college/provider and get their recommendations?
Privacy Policy