Where will Intermediate get me?

haychie
haychie Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
Hi! I'm just wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction?

If i pass my FRA and ECr exams now December what can expect to gain work wise? This has never been explained to me or infact where foundation got me.

Also what about Technician?

Am i wrong in thinking that people have done different types of intermediate etc? I did the Foundation and Intermediate so 2 years in total and had lots of skills test in between then the final exmas.

What does everyone else do? What is the Diploma?

Really confused as you cxan probably gues!! :laugh:

Comments

• Anna Hillier
    Anna Hillier Registered Posts: 33 🤖 Admin 🤖
    Hi Haychie,

The following information is taken from the 'job map' that's downloadable at http://www.aat.org.uk/employers

“What types of jobs can I apply for?”

As a guide, student members will be eligible for the roles outlined below on completion of the following levels, subject to their level of work experience.

AAT Foundation/Certificate level

Jobs that can be undertaken on completion at this level may have an administrative emphasis.
    The following is a typical example of a job description at this level:
    Finance Assistant / Administrator

Typical duties may include:

1. Inputs and processes financial information (i.e. invoices, receipts and payments), completing routine financial transactions in accordance with procedures
    2. Responds to routine enquiries from staff/customers and suppliers and investigates queries as required.
    3. May advise patients/clients regarding e.g. charges.
    4. Able to prepare ledger balances & an initial trial balance.
    5. Responsible for petty cash and bank account reconciliation for the organisation.

Accounting technicians use computers regularly to make tax calculations or establish balances using accounting software. They also use databases and spreadsheets.

AAT Intermediate / Advanced Certificate level

Jobs that can be undertaken on completion at this level may have a more evaluative emphasis.

The following is a typical example of a job description at this level:

Finance Officer

1. Ensures financial, payroll information is processed in accordance with procedures and in order to provide information for statutory returns.
    2. Investigates enquiries and queries from suppliers and staff/customers and provides assistance and advice as required
    3. Ensures that work is completed in line with financial timescales
    4. May advise customers regarding charges/payments
    5. Able to record and evaluate costs and revenues.
    6. Able to prepare a set of accounts and tax returns
    7. Able to maintain financial records and prepare accounts.
    8. Knowledge of computerised accounting systems.
    9. Working knowledge of double-entry bookkeeping

Accounting technicians use computers regularly to make tax calculations or establish balances using accounting software. They also use databases and spreadsheets.

AAT Technician / Diploma level

Jobs that can be undertaken on completion of this level may have a management emphasis.

The following are typical examples of job descriptions at this level:

Finance Team Leader

1. Leads a team of finance staff
    2. Ensures financial information is processed in accordance with procedures and in order to provide information for statutory returns.
    3. Investigates enquiries, providing assistance and advice as required.
    4. Ensures that work is completed in line with financial timescales and legal requirements.
    5. May provide advice to customers regarding e.g. charges

Finance Officer (Higher Level)

1. Ensures financial information is processed in accordance with procedures and in order to provide information for statutory returns, through completion of own work and through the coordination of the work of others.
    2. Investigates financial enquiries, providing assistance and advice as required.
    3. Ensures that work is completed in line with financial timescales and legal requirements
    4. May provide advice to customers regarding e.g. charges

AAT full membership-MAAT

Jobs that can be undertaken at this level (as at the technician level) may have a managerial emphasis. The position could also have a supervisory role. Eligibility for these roles would depend on the amount of previous experience gained by the individual.

As a full or fellow member, you can make the most of a range of discounts and services all designed to assist in your professional life, and enhance your leisure time through specially negotiated discounts and membership offers.

Finance Section Manager

1. Responsible for the daily management of a finance team e.g. payroll, financial accounts.
    2. Ensures financial information is processed in accordance with procedures, in order to provide information for statutory returns.
    3. Investigates complex enquiries providing assistance & advice as required.
    4. Ensures that work is completed in line with financial timescales and legal requirements, interpreting these where necessary.
    5. May provide advice to customers regarding e.g. charges.

Finance Analyst

1. Ensures financial information is processed in accordance with procedures, in order to provide information for statutory returns, through completion of own work and through the coordination of the work of others.
    2. Investigates complex financial enquiries, providing assistance and advice as required.
    3. Ensures that work is completed in line with financial timescales and legal requirements, interpreting these where necessary.
    4. May provide advice to customers regarding e.g. charges.

Job sources:
    For potential students; www.aat.org.uk/jobs
    This has details of traineeships available. Candidates will be prompted to fill in some information and will generate a username and password for the site.
    Current students and members; www.accountingtechnician.co.uk/jobs
    This has the details of employers who are advertising in our Accounting Technician magazine. It may be also useful to note the recruitment agencies that are advertising in the magazine/on-line as they are aware of the AAT and the benefits of its qualifications.
  • haychie
    haychie Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    Thank you ever so much! really appreciate your help.

I can now look forward! :001_smile:
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Thank you too. Careers advice is where my college fails miserably.
Privacy Policy