Capital Gains share valuation

Options
Sonia
Sonia Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
Hello All,

I need to obtain 1998 share prices for 2001 and 2003 warrants for the now defunct eurotunnel plc to offset the loss on a capital gain. This is the first time I have done this sort of calculation and I have been trawling the internet to see if I can find a site where I can download/view this info or view the "extel card". Have come to the conclusion I am not sure what I am doing as my search has proved fruitless!

Can anyone provide any usefull links to sites that may be able to help me out please :001_unsure:

Comments

• Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Do you not have a purchase document?

Regards

Dean
  • Sonia
    Options
    Hi Dean,

Thanks for your response - no there is no purchase document - there in lies the problem!
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Do you know the purchase amount? Divided that by the number of shares held? That would give you the purchase value. Alternatively, you could use something like ADVFN and try to back track the charts to arrive at a well educated guestimate.

www.advfn.com (if it is a floated company)

Also, i'm not quite sure what you mean by "I need to obtain 1998 share prices for 2001 and 2003 warrants"?

Regards

Dean
  • Sonia
    Options
    Hi Dean,

Sorry I am being a bit vague - I will explain further. A very elderly mother of a client had a capital gain last year which she paid tax on. She has advisors who produce a tax report for her etc but sometimes she would go off and do her own thing. It has come to light that she is in possession of old eurotunnel share certificates - 7000 on each certificate. As these are now worthless the daughter has been advised that these can be used to offset some of the tax paid last year by claiming a capital loss on these old shares. No further paperwork, bank statements have been found to ascertain purchase price. This is one of those situations where the really big firms are not interested in sorting this. I am local and she has come to me and being the soft touch I am am trying to help her out. With hindsight I should have said no as I mainly do sole trader accounts and have little experience with this and realise that this is a bit tricky but would like to help her if I can as the family helped me out when I first went self employed. You live and learn as they say! :001_smile:
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I've just had a quick look on the eurotunnel website (www.eurotunnel.com) and there are some details of shareprices there in the investors section. might help you.
  • shaxxa
    shaxxa Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I have a similar problem where my client purchased shares back in 2001 from NTL who then changed to Telewest and promptly moved to the States. Since then the company has been bought out again and I'm trying to find out the purchase price. (No purchase documents).
    I'm going to write to the bank who dealt with the transaction for a copy statement back then.
    Hopefully this will shed light on my problem, so may be a course of action for you?
    You do have until 2013 (please correct me if I am wrong anyone) to declare the loss.
    If anyone has any other suggestions, they would be gratefully received! :001_unsure:

Sharon
Privacy Policy