Self employed student members?

Lizzim Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐

I am currently studying at Advanced Certificate level (took FRA in Dec 07) and have a full time job in the public sector. I have been asked by someone I know who runs their own business whether I would be able to help them woth their accounts. I haven't looked into it yet in detail but it would be fairly straightforward stuff - cash book, sales/purchases ledger, possibly with the requirement to produce draft profit & loss/balance sheet.

Looking on the AAT website there is not a great deal of information available about what I would be required to do, if I were to take this work on. I gather I would have to register with HMRC (money laundering regulations) and I assume I would need to take out some kind of insurance but to be honest can't really see if there would be any other requirements.

Has anyone done this - any advice would be most appreciated :001_smile:


  • richardw
    richardw Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If your actually producing the official accounts, I think you may have to be a full AAT member.
    If your just getting them in order, tidying up etc, for them to then be sent to an accountant, that should be ok, as your not producing anything 'official' or signing off on anything.
  • Lizzim
    Lizzim Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks, I am aware I wouldn't be able to sign off final accounts - however as far as I am aware having spoken to my tutor I should be able to prepare draft versions for an accountant to sign off if correct?
Privacy Policy