Current Distance Learning recommendations?

Rose_Petal
Rose_Petal Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
Hi. I want to enrol on the Intermediate level but don't know which company to choose. I know there are lots of posts about this particular subject but the ones I found are quite a few months old - has anyone got any recent dealings with BPP, Premier Training or FTC?

Also, any advice on whether to go the NVQ or diploma route? I've worked as a book-keeper for 10 years but I would ideally like to take the exams in June and enrol at a local college for the Technician level in September. Any advice appreciated :001_smile:

Comments

• sebastianforbes
    sebastianforbes Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    hi there,

i've just done fra and ecr from the bpp textbooks. you really don't need anything else (and it only cost £76 for the books and £76 for the exams). it took me 3 months to prepare for the exams in december.

if you are really serious, you can have my books because i don't need them anymore.

as for the simulations, go with bpp. i guess i'm promoting the diploma pathway :lol:

pm me :001_smile:
  • CelticStar
    CelticStar Registered Posts: 142 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    hi there,

i've just done fra and ecr from the bpp textbooks. you really don't need anything else (and it only cost £76 for the books and £76 for the exams). it took me 3 months to prepare for the exams in december.
    if you are really serious, you can have my books because i don't need them anymore.

as for the simulations, go with bpp. i guess i'm promoting the diploma pathway :lol:

pm me :001_smile:

Can you do this? I thought you had to have a formal provider to study. I would love to just learn from the books as, frankly, I have found Premier to be a nightmare and definitely wouldn't recommend them. They were good at first but are now so slow it's unbelievable.

I have often just taught myself things from books and have never had any trouble so perhaps I would be better off doing this for my Technician stage.
  • jackie
    jackie Registered Posts: 81 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi,
    I am currently doing BTC and PTC for June exams, my distance learner being Premier Training. Although they had a few staff problems last Spring and work was slow coming back which can slow you down ,I found that they were always available to speak to and emails were returned quickly.
    In Premiers defence, now they have ironed out their problems I have found them extremely efficient and helpful.

Jackie
  • CelticStar
    CelticStar Registered Posts: 142 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    jackie wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am currently doing BTC and PTC for June exams, my distance learner being Premier Training. Although they had a few staff problems last Spring and work was slow coming back which can slow you down ,I found that they were always available to speak to and emails were returned quickly.
    In Premiers defence, now they have ironed out their problems I have found them extremely efficient and helpful.

Jackie

You must have been lucky then as I have often waited over a week for an email reply to very simple queries, I have had assessments go 'missing' and, at the moment I am waiting for a piece of work to be marked that was sent to them in early November.

They were not always like this, which is why it is such a shame.
  • blacksheep
    blacksheep Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐

I didn't realise you could do this - it would be good for me, becuase i have no money, and most of the funding options don't apply for one reason or another. Also means, theres not so much money in the balance if i fail/give up!! :001_smile: I'd use the FTC books becuase i used them at college for intermediate level and they were really good.

How did you practice for the exams? i'm thinking about doing diploma - are there any other assessments you still have to do in a college, how does that work?
    I really want to get started, but want to make sure i'm doing the right thing first.
  • phunkyphantom22
    phunkyphantom22 Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If the unit only requires a central exam to pass it, there is nothing to stop you going out and buying the books, studying them and sitting the exams yourself.

However, you will need a learning provider for any units which need simulations and the project unit.

BPP are cr@p - I wouldn't recommend them at all!
  • blacksheep
    I've just seen your message on the other - almost identical - thread. Thanks for the advice.
    How do you know which have sims and which don't beforehand? I can't seem to find those details anywhere.
  • phunkyphantom22
    phunkyphantom22 Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi

There is a list of units and exams etc. on the student guide - if you go to the student homepage/student resource centre/publications/student guide it will be on there (opens guide as a pdf).

This should take you there:

http://www.aat.org.uk/students/display/store4/item42247/
  • blacksheep
    Thanks, that's all been a big help!
Privacy Policy