Registered Office

Wayneo157
Wayneo157 Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
I have been approached by a potential client who is just setting up a Limited Company. They have asked if I could be their registered office until they get an office of their own.

I have worked for and been involved with companies in the past that have used their Solicitor or Accountant as their registered office when they first set up. In all cases the Solicitor or Accountant was office based. I am currently working from home so does anybody know if this makes a difference.

I am set up as a sole trader. Does anybody know if that makes a difference and if there are reasons that your home cannot be the registered office for a company setting up that belongs to somebody else.

I would really like to take on this client and I don't think this will be a deal breaker but it would be really good if I can help them out right at the beginning.

Please can somebody give me advice on this.

Thanks

Wayne

Comments

• farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Puzzled as to why your potential client doesn't want to use their own home address as registered office. Would be very careful, you don't want people banging on your door, trying to trace them if they do a runner!
  • Wayneo157
    Thanks for the warning Farmer Giles. That had crossed my mind. I am not too sure why they don't want to use their own home address at the moment. I obviously need to ask a few more questions and tread carefully.

Thanks again

Wayne
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Wayne

It is not unusual for a company's accountant to be the registered address. It does help with the logistics of assisting a client with statutory requirements since all of the reminders and the company's house annual return comes to you, and that helps with the old income stream.

If your home become the registered office then you also have to retain the statutory books as well in compliance with the CA.

However you do have to be aware of the pitfalls as fg says and you do tend to get a lot of junk mail as well but as I said it is a useful service to offer.

If it does go wrong then it is not difficult to submit form 287

Poodle
  • Wayneo157
    Thanks Poodle,

That makes a lot of sense. I think I will offer the service and as you say if all goes wrong I can easily submit a 287.

Wayne
  • PaulPSB
    PaulPSB Registered Posts: 55 Regular contributor ⭐
    Wayneo157 wrote: »
    Thanks Poodle,

That makes a lot of sense. I think I will offer the service and as you say if all goes wrong I can easily submit a 287.

Wayne

Out of interest what will you charge for this service??

Paul
Privacy Policy