jobs ?

Options
2»

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    There is hope out there.

I spent a year looking for a job whilst doing AAT intermediate. I had a little bookkeeping experience that counted for nothing really.

I finally got the opportunity at a practice who could see passed the lack of experience and see some potential. It was still in the low salary bracket (10k ish) but I was greatful of the opportunity.

I've now just sat my technician exams and they say I have prooved that the experience is not essential and now I'm going on to do ACCA. I also managed to get a 60% pay rise.

I'ts just to point out that it is possible but you need to find a firm that is willing to give you a chance. When they do you just need to grab it.
    Regards,

Burg
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    well i can see your point . but there is no way in a million years that i can take a pay cut to start in the office accounting envorment.....

but as soon as result comes in .. ill be hitting those broing mail shot letters to the accounting offices !!:001_tt2:
  • troy
    troy Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I know this is an old link now, but i would realy like to have my say.
    I have worked in retail ever sinse leaving school in 1986, but in September 07 i decided to take AAT at intermediate level.
    In April 08 i got offered a job in the accounts department with the NHS, i had to take a drop in pay, i was only earing £12,500, but i decided it was worth the risk, just so i could get my foot in the door. I have sinse been promoted and now on £15,500 i know this is still not much but i know i have the opportunity of promotion. I also have children, five to be exact, but i have decided to take that plunge.
    Again this week, the head of department in management accounts asked me to apply for a vacancy in there, if i do apply, and get the position that would be two promotions in a year and again would mean a £3,000 a year pay increase.
    I know it is difficult, i am supporting my 5 children on my own, but i think my determination to succeed shall make a difference.
    Good luck to you all
    x
  • whos that girl
    whos that girl Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    working for nowt

im in the same position, im starting level 3 and am panicking, i have no experience other than my partners accounts and book keeping but that still doent seem to help my c.v. so im opting to start work soon for someone who owns his own accounts office for FREE. thats right No WAGES. ouch, ive got small children and a morgage but i feel i have to start some where, can some one tell me if this is a good idea, i feel i have no chose and may be companies will see that im keen because ive been working for nothing. if i can stick it and they better not shout at me or treat me like a skivvy as i aint getting paid for that!!!
  • kevjarvisuni
    kevjarvisuni Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi WTG,

Over the past 4 days I have emailed CVs and covering letters to about 50 accountants up to 40 miles in all directions in the hope of getting a Junior or trainee position and despite a lot of them giving good advice about certain things - things to include in my CV etc. I have so far gained nothing.

I have offered to work one or 2 days for free in an accounts department (to be treated as work experience so it is legal) - they said they would get back to me at the end of the month. I think it is definantly worth trying as gaining experience any other way seems to be hopeless - have been applying for jobs for about 6 months.

I think it is commendable of you to do this when you have a family to support however. I'm sure though that your employability level will shoot up after 6 months though - Six months seems to be what a lot of employers ask of trainee applicants!

Kevin
  • keli2125
    keli2125 Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Can I suggest adding your CV onto www.monster.co.uk??? I did this last year, within days i had numerous agencies ringing me with permanent jobs that might be suitable. I got the job i have at the moment (Banking & Payments Assistant, £16.5k pa) that way, I am working for a large multi-national company & have an interveiw this week for another position within the company of Assisstant Accountant!

Keep trying, it will work out in the end!

Kel x
Privacy Policy