Laptop disaster

Options
crispy
crispy Registered Posts: 466 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hello,

I must not have been the only person to have done this, but have made a bit of a boo-boo and accidently spilt some tea onto my latop :crying:

After leaving to dry for for 24 hours it seems there was damage to the keyboard, a few of the keys don't seem very happy (annoyingly the space bar and return key). Would anyone know if this is now beyond repair, or if it could be fixed what the likely cost would be?

Thank you for any feedback.

Comments

• Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Crispy

Have you tried plugging a separate keyboard into the laptop? Maybe not ideal if you carry the laptop around a lot, but probably the cheapest option!!

Sue
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    few months back i did the same thing but mine 1 is working perfectly o rite i aint even dried up . as some one mentioned before if u aint carry a lot wireless keyboard is the perfect option or else if its on warranty u can send it back and get the new one if 2 of the above option dosent suit you then call the product manufacturer they will give u a cheap repair then any 1 else in the market
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    So we assume the circuitry has survived the spillage? You haven't mentioned what the specific key problem is. Are they just sticking down? If so, I'd advise to just carefully remove each one - take a picture first so you remember the key order! - then try cleaning the entire underneath with soft bristles e.g. an artists paintbrush Take care with laptop keys as they're usually attached differently compared to normal keyboards - most have metal hinges - and you often have to be quite forceful to remove them without damaging them!

I would imagine this is unlikely to be repaired under warranty unless accidental damage cover is included. Most manufacturers can detect spillage problems so this might be a waste of time.

Failing that, if you have contents insurance, you could have a tripping accident and drop the thing downstairs - oops!!! You'll probably have to pay an excess towards the cost of a new one but hey ho! I fell over a cat a few years ago and dropped mine, damn critters!
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 466 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for replies, the space bar, return and a few of the keys only work randomly now. It seemed to happen in slow motion as i tried in vain to grab the tipping cup
  • marknotgeorge
    marknotgeorge Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Failing that, if you have contents insurance, you could have a tripping accident and drop the thing downstairs - oops!!! You'll probably have to pay an excess towards the cost of a new one but hey ho! I fell over a cat a few years ago and dropped mine, damn critters!

Check the small print first - my previous policy didn't cover laptops whilst they were being carried, and my current one doesn't cover them at all...

Thinking about it, if it's covered, it'll be covered for spilling tea on it. So there's no need to 'engineer' and accident at all. Just remember to back up, as chances are you'll have to send it away, and if it gets replaced you won't get it back.
Privacy Policy