PEV Exam Section 2 (June 2008)

Options
Kevin.Nicholson
Kevin.Nicholson Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
I have e-mailed AAT to ask them to re-look at section 2.2 of the June 2008 exam as it was poorly worded and there are a lot of people who have failed. So hopefully they may look at this before the appeals go in... Saving time especially for thos of us who failed on one section out to the whol course and are waiting to progress to CIMA/ACCA...

Keep everything crossed, will update you on the response I get.

Comments

• Poppy
    Poppy Registered Posts: 105 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I also thought this was a poorly worded question and I think a lot of us failed it for not being able to understand the question and not for not being able to answer it!!!

I have just printed out my appeal forms and have the backing of all my office. Lets not back down, as soon as I left the exam I filled in the feedback form to say it was a bad question so why does this not appear to have been factored in!!!
  • sharon
    sharon Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Where did you get the appeal form from please??
  • Kevin.Nicholson
    Options
    Poppy wrote: »
    I also thought this was a poorly worded question and I think a lot of us failed it for not being able to understand the question and not for not being able to answer it!!!

I have just printed out my appeal forms and have the backing of all my office. Lets not back down, as soon as I left the exam I filled in the feedback form to say it was a bad question so why does this not appear to have been factored in!!!

Lets all send in an appeal, only then will something be done for all..
  • ms-nee-nee
    ms-nee-nee Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I took ptc, btc, and pev in june.... out of all of them i thought pev was quite easy.... but I ended up failing PEV section 1,,, im very shocked with my result as section 2 was the more difficult part with the turbines... i am definitely appealing....and hoping that all our efforts turn our N's into Y's!!!

naz
  • confused!!
    confused!! Registered Posts: 130 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Im am definately appealing PEV and complaining about question 2.2.
    No doubt they will say ive failed regardless of 2.2 LOL!
  • Laura88
    Laura88 Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I am appealing aswell! I have failed PEV and out of the 3 exams I took, I thought that I would pass this one as I felt it was my stronger subject. I have spoke to my tutor and she has advised me to appeal aswell.

The overall pass rate in the country for PEV is 56.5% which isn't that good really I don't think.

I think it is definately worth apealing as the more people that do, they may do something about it!

I also thought this wasn't this the exam that the AAT messed up the wording on the front and put Level 3 instead of Level 4? I am certain it was as our exam was postponed by 45 mins for this error so we were all kept waiting on edge in the exam room!

Laura
    x
  • bennybroadbean
    bennybroadbean Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Laura - Where did you get the % pass rates from? Be interested too look at the others.
  • Laura88
    Options
    My tutor let me know. I emailed her last night as I was disapointed in my result and asked for some advise on what to do next. She told me that pass rate was for all the people that took the PEV exam this year.

Laura
    x
  • Poppy
    Poppy Registered Posts: 105 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Did your tutor know whether that was a low figure.

Got my forms printed out and will be getting them signed off tomorrow!!!
  • lawman
    lawman Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    This is from the Kaplan site and shows the results for the December 2007 exams. PEV was the second lowest pass rate of all papers.

Exam AAT National

IAC 87%
    PLB 84%
    FRA 68%
    ECR 75%
    MAC 48%
    PEV 65%
    PCR 82%
    DFS 80%
    BTax 76%
    PTax 80%
  • Laura88
    Options

I don't know, will ask her, but I assume that it is.
  • James
    James Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi Kevin, do you think we will have any luck with this?
  • Laura88
    Options

Spoke to my tutor, she said for PEV this is low compared to past PEV exams. It was 68% last June 07 and 65.3% June 06, so really there is a quite a big drop in percentage.
  • Jangles
    Jangles Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I have sent off my appeal form today for PEV and specifically mentioned 2.2 wording. I know a number of people through work and college who are in the same situation so I am advising them to do the same.

Fingers crossed to everyone appealing and let us know how you get on.

:huh:
  • pepper
    pepper Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Pev

Hi

I also failed PEV, i dont think I did well in the paper, on the whole, but when I looked at the national pass rate for this paper, i was shocked! I also thought section 2 was poorly written, please keep us informed on how your appeal is going - come on AAT look at the figures, and sort this paper out.
  • Dianne
    Dianne Registered, Tutor Posts: 18 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Pev

Can any one tell me who you send your emails to in AAT, to complain about 2.2 in PEV exam. I too failed this section, after passing everything else over the three years. I am appealing but would also like to let AAT know how I feel about the Turbine question.

Thanks !!!!
  • Laura88
    Options
    Diane,

If I was you I would send a letter along with your appeal form so you can express your views.

Good luck with the appeal for PEV, I am also appealing and I think there are a good many others too by the sounds of it!

Laura
    x
  • Kevin.Nicholson
    Options
    Heard back from the AAT and the following is taken directly from the e-mail reply: -

"I have spoken to our exams department and they have informed me that
    after the exams they reqested feedback from students and tutor and that
    the results do reflect on all the feedback we have collected.

Please send a blank email to appeals@aat.org.uk, you will then receive
    an automated reply with the procedure on how to appeal your exam paper.
    The deadline to appeal the June 08 exam paper is 21 September 2008."

So if 56% was the national pass mark then maybe they aren't interested. So this goes with what someone else posted that it had already been taken into account. Clear as mud me thinks
  • lisa e
    lisa e Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    pev 3 0r 4

Nice to read lauras mail about the mess up of the front of the papers. I was the only one in our exam who noticed the difference and had my paper taken away for 20 minutes for checking. When they came back and said it was the correct paper I was refused the 20 minutes I had lost, this put me in chaos and I failed the first half. Needless to say I am a bit put out!
  • jimbob
    jimbob Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    dfs section 2 q 2.2 can some one enlighten me as to why everyone is complaining about the wording of this question looked clear to me.
  • NBB
    NBB Registered Posts: 125 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    jimbob wrote: »
    dfs section 2 q 2.2 can some one enlighten me as to why everyone is complaining about the wording of this question looked clear to me.

Jimbob

PEV is the question we're talking about!!!!
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    PEV section 2 q 2.2
    Task 2.2
    (a) Calculate the following information for the demand level of 10,000 turbines per annum:
    (i) full production cost per turbine manufactured by Voltair, using your relevant
    answers from task 2.1 (a)
    (ii) Voltair’s unavoidable fixed production cost per turbine if contracted out
    (iii) Voltair’s avoidable production cost per turbine if contracted out
    (b) Calculate the following information for the demand level of 14,000 turbines per annum:
    (i) full production cost per turbine manufactured by Voltair, using your relevant
    answers from task 2.1 (a)
    (ii) Voltair’s unavoidable fixed production cost per turbine if contracted out
    (iii) Voltair’s avoidable production cost per turbine if contracted out
    (c) Using your calculations in 2.2 (a) and (b) above, draft a report for the Managing Director
    covering the following:
    (i) a recommendation on whether or not to contract out, based upon demand of
    10,000 turbines
    (ii) a recommendation on whether or not to contract out, based upon demand of
    14,000 turbines
    (iii) THREE other considerations which need to be taken into account

This topic was tested for the first time by the current examiner but if you look at the unit standards
    Knowledge and Understanding
    Accounting techniques 6
    http://www.aat.org.uk/servlet/file/Technician_Student_Record.pdf?ITEM_ENT_ID=69684&COLLSPEC_ENT_ID=34
    page 24
    You will find that scenario planning is most definitely a topic that the exam can address.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
Privacy Policy