Cima

Options
clazaridis
clazaridis Registered Posts: 30 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,
I've just passed my Intermediate course and i am going on to Technician in September, i want to go on after that to CIMA, i currently work in industry and intend to continue on that path, however i'm not sure whether to get onto the CIMA course i have to take certain units in my choices???

Can anyone who has done Tecnician and is going on to CIMA help me with this?

Thanks

Claire

Comments

• X5wrangler
    X5wrangler Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Claire,
    like yourself I work in Industry and have now completed AAT and am going onto CIMA. I did have a chat with my boss about the optional units and in my case, I took the Cash Management & Credit Control and Auditing options. (These were skills tests rather than exams but my personal choice would have been to take exams - I hate skills tests!!!!). I would say that if you are serious, have a chat with your line manager, look at the criteria for each option and choose which would benefit you the most, just in case you decide for some reason not to go onto CIMA. I believe at some point you will learn about the missed options in AAT with CIMA, I know on the Managerial level, it covers tax so I'm not gettting away with it!!!:001_smile:
    Congratualtions on passing Intermediate by the way :thumbup1:
    Cheers
    Mandy
  • NBB
    NBB Registered Posts: 125 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Claire/ Mandy

Do you know if you take the 4 options do you get exempt from any extra CIMA units????
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

The exemptions from CIMA are exactly the same regardless ofwhat options you take. Also, you don't get extra exemptions for taking more options.

Neil
  • clazaridis
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i've looked through the cima website and noticed a unit about tax but no mention of audit?? i'm now thinking of taking cash management & business tax...
    At the moment i work for a company with 8 employees and i'm the accounts department on my own! my boss therefore doesn't understand accounts at all and has been a little aprehensive of me taking AAT because of the cost to him! i'm going to stay here for the next year and hopefully pass technician then start looking to work in a bigger organisation with a proper accounts department where they understand the need to study if you want to progress on an accounts career and hopefully go on to do cima through them! This makes it difficult to take units relevant to my job as i don't know what job i will be doing in a year or so! aaarrrggghhh confusion!!!
    Thanks for the comments, they have been very useful!
    Claire
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    clazaridis wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, i've looked through the cima website and noticed a unit about tax but no mention of audit?? i'm now thinking of taking cash management & business tax...
    At the moment i work for a company with 8 employees and i'm the accounts department on my own! my boss therefore doesn't understand accounts at all and has been a little aprehensive of me taking AAT because of the cost to him! i'm going to stay here for the next year and hopefully pass technician then start looking to work in a bigger organisation with a proper accounts department where they understand the need to study if you want to progress on an accounts career and hopefully go on to do cima through them! This makes it difficult to take units relevant to my job as i don't know what job i will be doing in a year or so! aaarrrggghhh confusion!!!
    Thanks for the comments, they have been very useful!
    Claire

Thank god its not just me in this position......Although I do like the experiencing all areas of the accounts that comes with it!
  • Helenb
    Helenb Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I have just completed my technician and am starting CIMA I took Auditing and Cash Management too. The auditing gave me a better understanding of what our auditors do and the cash management was interesting, it gave me a better picture of how cash flows in a business and gave me ideas for unit 10 as well! I didn't take the tax units because its not really relevant to my job and I will cover it later with CIMA (I also didn't want to wait for the exams to come round)
  • clazaridis
    Options
    I agree Jon 1984 it's good to have a range of accounts work to do but as far as my job is concerned i could do it in an hour and go home! I get so bored and feel i'm wasting the stuff ive learnt at college as i never use any of it as all the accounts go off to some accountant down south to be completed so i never get a look in! Hopefully i'll get the chance to move on once i pass technician. I'd like to get into management accounts but there is no need for a management accountant where i am at the moment as it's such a small outfit. Be good to hear from you again and your progress as we are in a similar situation!
Privacy Policy