ACCA or CIMA

aer87
aer87 Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello

I passed all my exams, and need to apply for full membership, but would like any sound advice on my next route.

I'm going to most probably need to move places of work, but my boss has advised me that CIMA is more industry based...... and industry is taking a downfall in the UK, so maybe ACCA is the way forward??

HELP ME PLEASEEEEE :001_tt2:

Comments

• NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    aer87 wrote: »
    Hello

I passed all my exams, and need to apply for full membership, but would like any sound advice on my next route.

I'm going to most probably need to move places of work, but my boss has advised me that CIMA is more industry based...... and industry is taking a downfall in the UK, so maybe ACCA is the way forward??

HELP ME PLEASEEEEE :001_tt2:

Hi

CIMA is more industry based whereas ACCA sits in between industry and practice. CIMA also fits in well with public sector finance - but then of course there is CIPFA. There is a certain issue of point of view to take into account, I wor in industry and my boss trained in practice (ICAEW/ACA). She advised me agaist ACCA and said it leant itself more to practce.

Another thing to consider is where you work now. If you currently work in industry, making a move into practice is (although not impossible) quite difficult and the more you advance your career the harder the move would be and would involve a certain amount of "starting over". A move from practice to industry is usually more straight forward.

Industry may be taking a down turn, but if it does take a down turn practices will also feel as much of hit as demand for their services could fall.

Where do you currently work?

Neil
  • Helen918
    Helen918 Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    We were advised by out tutor to choose ACCA as students from AAT fair better with this route than CIMA.

When viewing adverts for accountancy jobs it quite often lists both ACCA and CIMA as preferred qualifications. Does it really matter?

My work say CIMA, but I just don't know?????
Privacy Policy