Register with HMRC and AAT as MIP?

Petal Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor ⭐ 😼 ⭐
If I am registering as an MIP with the AAT do I also need to register with the HMRC as an agent?
Thank you:001_smile:


  • DaveP
    DaveP Registered Posts: 79 💫 🐯 💫
    Not for ML purposes but when you submit your first 64-8 you will automatically be assigned an agent reference number. This can then be used to set up the array of online agent services.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553

    You will need to register as self-employed.
  • Petal
    Petal Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor ⭐ 😼 ⭐
    I will be working through our Limited Company so don't think I have to register as self employed.
  • Petal
    Petal Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor ⭐ 😼 ⭐
    Sorry to appear very thick but what is ML and 64 8 form?
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624
    ML - money laundering. You really need to know what you are doing under the money laundering procedures or you could find yourself in hot water, I'm positive the AAT has some guidance regarding this.

    64-8 is the authority to act as an agent which the client signs.

    May I ask how much practice experience you have? What is the set up of the company that you are working for?
    BIG WAL Registered Posts: 133 🎆 🐘 🎆
    Re ML - as a MIP the AAT should be your supervisory body. All accountants have to be registered by the end of September, but AAT should do this automatically if your A MIP. Suggest you give them a ring, as my understanding is most MIP's are already registered with them. Otherwise you have to register with HMRC directly.

    If your working through the Limited Company, then the Company would have to be registered I guess.
  • Petal
    Petal Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor ⭐ 😼 ⭐
    My husband and I have a small limited company that we run all our business through. He is a contract Design Engineer, having spoken to our Accountant they have said it will be fine for me to continue to put my work through our books.
    I prepare our books and that of two other small business's. I decided to qualify with the AAT so that I can take this further and prepare books to Financial statements and do it properly.
    Now I have qualified with the AAT I would like to develop the practise slowly and will be preparing our statements and have been asked if I will be able to do those of the two small business's as well.
    I have purchased Sage Client manager and will be using that as well as Excel (which is being used at the moment)
    I know that I need to go slowly and carefully as I am fairly inexperienced.
    I would love to go on and do ACCA but because of circumstances am unable to at present. I have a young family and working for myself, building up slowly is the best (only at present) option for me at the present time.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624
    You might also find that ACCA's practicing rules may deny you what you are doing as well. I think CIMA is much more flexible when it comes to practicing after qualifying.
Privacy Policy